Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Yellow (589nm) laser 5mw 329.99 USD shipped?

Ya, I doubt there are any more heavy hitters like several of us have, which are peaking over 100mW. I'd be confident you'll get one that peaks over 50mW though, at least using Atomic's as a guide of what to expect.

USAbro

Why can't they make cheaper yellow lasers by combining two different color beams. 532 and 635.

Simple. because they're buying in bulk, which is cheaper. Though if they sell enough other things at a modest markup, they can afford to take small hits on more expensive stuff.

Ah, I see what you're saying. That makes a lot of sense because it takes them forever to get back in stock for their lasers.:thanks:

upaa27

How can we see yellow if there is no yellow?

Because our eyes perceive it that way. Just like how pink isn't a real color it is just a mixture of other colors. Our eyes just see two colors on each other and can't comprehend it so it sees something else.

USAbro

So your saying the two wavelengths don't mix? I'm not knowledgeable on the topic.

So your saying the two wavelengths don't mix? I'm not knowledgeable on the topic.

They don't mix , no , I think its along the lines of the red stimulates red receptors in the eyes and the green , green receptors ( cones & rods ) and then the brain " mixes " them giving the colour yellow , the varying stimulation level of the two colours gives the different shades .

I no expert but I think when yellow light such as 589nm enters the eye , there is stimulation in the red and green rods and cones giving the same effect ,

With two sources one made from red and green and a pure 589nm , looking at them they would both look yellow .

We only have red , green and blue cones and rods in are eyes , but varying stimulation of each gives the range of colours we " see "

It would explain I guess why blue and yellow combined look white in person , due to the yellow doing as above and blue stimulating the blue cones and rods giving the appearance of " white "

Last edited:

USAbro

I think its along the lines of the red stimulates red receptors in the eyes and the green , green receptors ( cones & rods ) and then the brain " mixes " them giving the colour yellow , the varying stimulation level of the two colours gives the different shades

Oh thanks for the explanation. Makes sense now. I guess for our purposes it would work though.

Last edited:
Yep, 'tis all in yer 'ead.

It's why cyan and yellow together will be perceived as white. The cyan stimulates the blue and green receptors, and the yellow stimulates the green and red receptors. All three receptors stimulated = white.

That's really up to you. All comes down to whether you still consider it a good deal if yours comes out underspec - not sure it will, but chances are high. Apparently they sold the best units first/to the GB.

I ended up keeping mine precisely because choices are very limited on the yellow range :/

Last edited: