Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Y not have a pointer composed of 5mW 532&100mW650

Re: Y not have a pointer composed of 5mW 532&100mW

In the image below I'm mixing a ~5mW green laser with my DIY 20-25mW 635nm red laser. After reflecting the lasers off some aluminum tripod legs you can see the yellow created on the wall where the red+green mix. A little speckly, but looks good.

red_7.jpg

I tried that 25mW 635nm + 5mW green as well, mixing with a dichro I got from a PS3 sled, and it is sooo hard to align. I got it somewhat aligned out to about 5ft or so, but I need much sturdier mounting material so it doesn't flex AT ALL, or the beam misaligns. Maybe some prefabbed solid piece of aluminum would work...

Switch

I'm just seeing it like this: a solid piece of metal with a mirror and a dichro precisely mounted parralel to each other and at 45 degrees to the beams.The red module in front of the mirror having it's beam reflected towards the dichro and out the aperture, then the green in front of the dichro.The green would a an adjustable mini expander to match the red's diamteter and divergence.All packed in a nice box with 2 rheostats and a click switch. :p

I don't think that you can adjust the brightness any good on a green laser with a pot. It would probably mode hop because of possible shift in wavelength or whatever.
I'd go for PWM. (And it looks cool if you make a time tunnel!) Now I wanna try it...

sarbanes said:
I think the consensus is that Bionic-Badger took it in stride (was just asking, no biggie). But pseudolobster is truly a nut job whacko...the kind of person you worry about stalking you because you looked at them the wrong way. You never know what’s going to set a nut job off.

Hmm?

Not really, I was just mentioning that they'll get more help and generally be more respected if they were to use full words rather than typing like a 10 year old... Reading their post, it's clear they know how to spell "why", so you have to wonder why they used "Y"... anyways, there's also a bunch of people on this forum who english isn't their first language, so things like "Y" might not make sense to them.

Oh yeah, and PS: It puts the lotion in the basket or else it gets the hose again. I know where you live and will eat your children. [smiley=evil.gif]

Switch

FireMyLaser said:
I don't think that you can adjust the brightness any good on a green laser with a pot. It would probably mode hop because of possible shift in wavelength or whatever.
I'd go for PWM. (And it looks cool if you make a time tunnel!) Now I wanna try it...

If you use PWM for green, when you swing it around you're gonna see a line made of little red and yellow lines :p If you're gonna use it for both you're gonna get a combination of red green and yellow, well it might be a cool effect and worthwhile if that's what you're looking for.But a simple pot would be way easier(which is good for a handheld).I don't think it would shift wavelength unless you really heat up the diode.If you have a good green module there's no reason it would mode hop if you adjust power. :-/

"Might be a cool" you say? Skeptic much?, of course it will be cool - because I say so! ::)
But honestly, I have no idea if it will mode hop with a pot, it might hope hop with PWM, but I doubt it.
This PWM-thing can go a long way when I give it a thought, like build you're very own multicolour laser pointer from a novelty item. There are a bunch of different little glowing items out there that change colour with a PWM circuit and LEDs. I was thinking: if you replace the LEDs with a transistor (IDK how, wish I did. PNP, NPN- got no clue or how to connect them :mad:) to amplify the PWM signal and then let it power a laser. -These circuits have three channels, one for red, green and blue (RGB), so you do this with three lasers: RGB laser! It will change colour by itself! OMG that's awesome!
And why stop there? Amplify another circuit and instead of powering lasers, let it power three motors and make a three mirror spirograph, that changes speeds automaticly for dirt cheap!

Combine the two... *Sigh*
I need to stop thinking about things and actually try them and see if it works!

The only big problem is to get a blue laser (and deal with the transistors). :(

Switch

And nicely combining 2 beams , then 3. :p But yea, combining PWM lasers with a spyrograph would result in hours of entertainment and pretty shiny colors :D I was just talking about it's practicality as a pointer.

I think that I can pull it off, only one way to find out. ;)

I just thought again, lol. Instead of using only one PWM circuit for the lasers/motors, maybe I should be using one circuit per laser/motor. If I use only one circuit, then the cycle will be the same all the time and you'll get bored. With one circuit (using only one channel) per laser/motor, the cycles will never repeat itself - the effects will be completely random, and therefore better! Yeah it might be a little big, but still portable. :)

...And I could use a violet laser on white paper to make blue.

I'll go and meditate some more...

pseudolobster said:
[quote author=sarbanes link=1211482056/12#14 date=1211738700]I think the consensus is that Bionic-Badger took it in stride (was just asking, no biggie).  But pseudolobster is truly a nut job whacko...the kind of person you worry about stalking you because you looked at them the wrong way. You never know what’s going to set a nut job off.

Hmm?

Not really, I was just mentioning that they'll get more help and generally be more respected if they were to use full words rather than typing like a 10 year old... Reading their post, it's clear they know how to spell "why", so you have to wonder why they used "Y"... anyways, there's also a bunch of people on this forum who english isn't their first language, so things like "Y" might not make sense to them.

Oh yeah, and PS: It puts the lotion in the basket or else it gets the hose again. I know where you live and will eat your children.  [smiley=evil.gif][/quote]

Time to contact the police re: your tasid threat. Count on it.