Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

XML Headlight Project

jayrob

Looking forward to seeing before and after comparison with your stock headlights! :cool:

The flashaholic in me can't wait to see the final result....

The driver in me is likely to run you off the road though:p

These would be interesting to have as a third option for super high beams. I'm not handy at all, but would love to put an xml into my car spotlight.

The 7805 is only good for 1A. Use a buck driver instead and omit the under-powered and wasteful regulator.

I don't know what your goal is, but if your goal is reasonable, it's not gonna work, but at least when you're done you'll still have some XM-Ls and nice pedestal heat sinks you could mod for some other uses. Don't underestimate how much work goes into designing headlight optics.

Speaking of which, you mentioned HIDs, but you also mentioned truck, so what kind of optics will you be using with these LEDs, and will you still be using your HIDs or halogens for lighting the road?

To make a halfway reasonable beam, you will need a deep reflector, and some quality glass optics to shape the beam into a nice "rectangular" beam. Use a metal cutoff to achieve a somewhat aim-able beam.

But really, I recommend using these for no more than backup lights or fog lights. Use OEM projector optics if possible.

You are looking for pencil beams, then, not headlights. Do not replace your headlights with these. Instead, I recommend getting an aspheric flashlight and seeing how the light looks coming out of it. You will then understand why it is not suitable for headlights. The light *looks* nice and even on a flat wall, but most people don't drive on vertical walls. Once you get it on the road, you will see your foreground lit up, but the rest of the light will be wasted on distance since teh foreground will wash it out. Not to mention, foreground lighting doesn't do a whole lot of good, and when you need it, you use your fogs.

I think you should change your plan to not use these in your lighting application, but instead maybe a signal application like reverse lights, or accents like ground lights under your mirrors or something. If you must use these for lighting, I recommend buying the cheapest set of fog projectors you can find (the kind with the focusing lens, not the reflector kind) and mod those to accept the heatsink you have. Then you will have distance lighting that will work very nicely with your highbeams.

It goes without saying, everything said here is illegal except for the accent lighting, which only might be illegal.