Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

X-box360 external hddvd drivers????

Hey guys,

Been searching the net for a cheap couple of blu-ray diodes (psxboy is taking foreeevvveeeer), and I came across these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XBOX-360-HD-D...7999&_trkparms=39:1|65:3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

They are only 16 pounds so not that big off a loss if its only the 811 diode...

However, does anybody have any experience with these drives, anyone harvest them? would really like to know as it looks like a pretty cheap source if its the high powered 803t diodes that are used in them.

Thanks
brtaman

Yes i know there has been significant discussion on the two types of diodes found in hd-dvd drives, and I was following that thread for quite a few pages (dont remember to which one) and couldnt find mention of this drive (maybe I missed if, it happens) the problem is I have been waiting for psxboy forever and just want a diode quick, however i have a ton of work atm and was hoping that someone who has experience with this specific driv and has read that whole thread e could just fill me in...

Thanks for the insightful link

brtaman

daguin

brtaman said:
Hey guys,

Been searching the net for a cheap couple of blu-ray diodes (psxboy is taking foreeevvveeeer), and I came across these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XBOX-360-HD-D...7999&_trkparms=39:1|65:3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

They are only 16 pounds so not that big off a loss if its only the 811 diode...

However, does anybody have any experience with these drives, anyone harvest them? would really like to know as it looks like a pretty cheap source if its the high powered 803t diodes that are used in them.

Thanks
brtaman

The harvest is not difficult. Some have the 803T sled. Some have the 0811 sled. You cannot tell from the outside. You have to see the hardware version number from the drive itself (inside the XBOX case). When you buy one of these, you take the chance that it will have the 0811 sled.

Peace,
dave

Ahhhh, ic, I thought it was somewhat of a gamble with these :) I guess I will have to try my luck, I think the guy bought many at the same time judging by the picture, so if I get a 803t there is a good chance all of his drives have 803t's

Hope he doesnt try and rip me off on shipping

thanks for the reply, daguin

brtaman

bmansc

Looks like 10 pounds for shipping (unless you collect in person), so 26 pounds total. The conversion would not be good for those of us in the states, but not bad if you live in the UK

brtaman - aha! Now I know what you were asking - daguin's concise reply was right on the mark (as usual)!

Good luck - I just built my first blu-ray with the 803t from the xbox360 HD drive - first light last night! Even if you practice with the lower power diodes, it's still good experience...and you will still have a 405nm laser!

I would just buy an 802a drive so that your guaranteed an 803t... only costs a little bit more if you can find one... or get the sled from psxboy for 40$

I would doubt that it had an 803t diode in it since it looks like they're new, and the older 2007 models I believe are the ones that have them.