Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB Near Complete DIY Spirograph

Looking for a DIY project that someone has discarded or no longer finds any interest in. Ideally it would just be the base with mirrors, motors, switches, etc (not looking for a laser). I will be dropping my own laser and drivers into it.

If you've got something you are trying to get rid of, let me know.

Why not make your own? If you have some old motorized toys laying around you're halfway there. Or go to a craft store...and Radioshack and spend $5 for all the parts. Grab a hot glue gun...and you're there. I've seen some made of Legos. Get creative...its more fun.

Why not make your own? If you have some old motorized toys laying around you're halfway there. Or go to a craft store...and Radioshack and spend $5 for all the parts. Grab a hot glue gun...and you're there. I've seen some made of Legos. Get creative...its more fun.

Because it is going to run me closer to $40 - $50 to build one plus build time.

Motors
Mirrors
Switches
Pots
Board
Project Box
Battery Housing or DC Power Supply

That's dough my friend. I bought some soldering board, a few N4001's, and a handful of LED's the other day at Radio Shack and it ran me $30.

haha i just made one in a madden case with a hobby motor (1.99) and a FS mirror from dtr's optics sled(which is one of the best deals on LPF imo). Glued it onto a vitamin water cap and into a Madden NFL case '94 for the sega genesis it goes and voila!

spiro_zps63491fb1.jpg

add a little smoke and...

spiro1_zpsc38a2587.jpeg

i also added a 100 ohm rehostat so i can speed up and slow down the motor. it was like 2 bucks
the switch i got off ebay 5 for 1.99

what would you need a board for? and you only need a 2XAA to run a hobby motor those are like 99 cents.
ALSO free flat top ring boxes or watch boxes are awesome for making spiro toys in. Bottle caps work well for the mirror base.

so it was like 15 bucks... if i count the mirror as $9 but that is 2 sleds that also include 3 more fs mirrors 4 dichros and a nice assortment of lenses

Last edited:
Because it is going to run me closer to $40 - $50 to build one plus build time.

Motors
Mirrors
Switches
Pots
Board
Project Box
Battery Housing or DC Power Supply

That's dough my friend. I bought some soldering board, a few N4001's, and a handful of LED's the other day at Radio Shack and it ran me $30.

You're over thinking it. The majority of those items can be found in junk laying around the house. I saw in the dollar store a battery operated toy car for $1. Bingo....you have a motor...and battery holder. You can find motors in all kinds of cheap toys...even a walkman...CD Roms...and on. Pots can be found on old stereo equipment...or fan controllers for PCs. Infact PC fans make great spiro motors. You can find power adapters on old phones chargers...and old electronics. Switches can be pulled from anything. You can buy a bag of small mirrors at the craft store for a $1. You can use any box...even a small tupperware container.

Go down to the basement..up in the attic...and out to the garage. I'm sure you can find piles of stuff to make one. Just look around.

Nice work BD :beer:

hahaha yes HIPPYHOP i love all your posts +1
ANYTHING is your spiro

You're over thinking it. The majority of those items can be found in junk laying around the house. I saw in the dollar store a battery operated toy car for $1. Bingo....you have a motor...and battery holder. You can find motors in all kinds of cheap toys...even a walkman...CD Roms...and on. Pots can be found on old stereo equipment...or fan controllers for PCs. Infact PC fans make great spiro motors. You can find power adapters on old phones chargers...and old electronics. Switches can be pulled from anything. You can buy a bag of small mirrors at the craft store for a $1. You can use any box...even a small tupperware container.

Go down to the basement..up in the attic...and out to the garage. I'm sure you can find piles of stuff to make one. Just look around.

Nice work BD :beer:

Lives downtown Chicago with no attic for storage or garage for laser projects or man cave :-( A thrift shop would probably be my best bet.

Lives downtown Chicago with no attic for storage or garage for laser projects or man cave :-( A thrift shop would probably be my best bet.

I lived in Chicago for years. I used to walk down the alleys behind all the electronic/appliance stores and find all kinds of really cool stuff they toss away...