Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB heatsink for AixiZ

Hiya folks, I could not find anybody selling normal heatsinks so, i opened a new thread
DON'T BLIND ME YET
i did use search :D
So, I wanna a heatsink that fits aixiz, THE CHEAPEST one humanly possible.
See my thread with new laser here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/powerfull-red-easy-simple-host-pics-high-res-included-44150.html
It would be great to be small enough to fit there, it would be,
2.5 cm diameter, and smallest width possible (should be 1 cm as far as i understand, CNC machines must have at least 1 cm grip)

Somebody cheer me up here and say it can be done. Not for a fortune. :D

Tabish

Duuude!! You just gave me an idea!

My local hardware store, (Home depot) sells aluminum(i think) rods of various thicknesses. Some over 1" thick I believe. They also offer to do things like drill holes / cut materials for fairly cheap (or maybe that's wood only..)

Check your hardware store for these aluminum rods. Maybe we can make our own heatsinks for cheap rofl (although their quality may not be soo great)

I'll check homedepot out real soon. My dad has all sorts of steel drill bits. I'm sure I can find one the exact size for a aixiz module.

Last edited:

rkcstr

Drilling holes in aluminum stock is harder than it sounds. You won't get good results if you just use a handheld drill and a bit. You can try, sure, but the hole will likely be rough, uneven and probably not much better than no heatsink at all. I don't think Home Depot offers cutting services on their metal stock either, but I could be wrong.

In my opinion, it is much simpler to shell out the $20-something to someone who has the equipment and know how to do the work properly. Otherwise, you'll likely end up wasting that much or more on something that doesn't turn out anything close to as good.

Not trying to discourage you; just being realistic.

As for cheap heatsinks, I don't think you're going to find one much cheaper than those around here. It's not really worth the time and cost of material/equipment to go any cheaper. Maybe if you find something mass-produced from Deal-Extreme or somewhere else, but doubtful for the custom-made items here.

Last edited:
Drilling holes in aluminum stock is harder than it sounds. You won't get good results if you just use a handheld drill and a bit. You can try, sure, but the hole will likely be rough, uneven and probably not much better than no heatsink at all. I don't think Home Depot offers cutting services on their metal stock either, but I could be wrong.

In my opinion, it is much simpler to shell out the $20-something to someone who has the equipment and know how to do the work properly. Otherwise, you'll likely end up wasting that much or more on something that doesn't turn out anything close to as good.

Not trying to discourage you; just being realistic.

As for cheap heatsinks, I don't think you're going to find one much cheaper than those around here. It's not really worth the time and cost of material/equipment to go any cheaper. Maybe if you find something mass-produced from Deal-Extreme or somewhere else, but doubtful for the custom-made items here.
Nope, ain't gonna happen. I'm NOT repeat NOT going to spend 20 $ for a heatsink.
Period. Acctually my school has CNC machine, maybe I end up selling 10$ High quality heatsinks here :D
Good relations with professors pays off :D