Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WTB:  405nm Laser Pointer

I'm looking to purchase a 405nm laser pointer, fully assembled and tested. I'm definitely not looking for something that will burn; that would be a downer for me as I'll be using it for presentations. I'd prefer to have a pen-style setup.

I'm aware of the multiple threads regarding how to build one, but I haven't soldered in years, so I'm not willing to start a 'trial' with an ESD sensitive diode.

Any suggestions appreciated.

daguin

AZWoodWorker said:
I'm looking to purchase a 405nm laser pointer, fully assembled and tested. I'm definitely not looking for something that will burn; that would be a downer for me as I'll be using it for presentations. I'd prefer to have a pen-style setup.
I'm aware of the multiple threads regarding how to build one, but I haven't soldered in years, so I'm not willing to start a 'trial' with an ESD sensitive diode.

Wow! I don't know of anybody building low powered blu-rays right now. I have one that I use for presentations as well. I love it. It certainly makes the students sit up and take notice. There is an online seller from the UK that has lower powered ones, but he is a bit expensive.

Here is a link to his site:
http://www.lazershop.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=45&osCsid=f7d7551ebb2dd9c035d8b82af6db68ee

Hopefully somebody will pop up here with a lower powered one for you.

Peace,
dave

You'd need a good amount of 405nm to see the dot clearly, my eyes just can't take it.

daguin

potatorage said:
You'd need a good amount of 405nm to see the dot clearly, my eyes just can't take it.

In practice this is not true. The brightness of the dot is very dependent on the surface being lased. The white screen most often used to project Power Point type presentations lends itself very well to the 405nm pointer. While the dot is on the screen it appears quite bright. It has the added bonus that if/when you forget to release the button and the dot moves off the screen, it's apparent brightness actually decreases when on the wall. Now, if you happen to hit a white sheet of paper stuck on the wall . . . . .FLASH! :eek:

The one I use now puts out about 10mW.

Peace,
dave

Re: WTB:  405nm Laser Pointer

What if you just asked somebody to do your pen with any blu-ray diode but set it at 10-20ma?

iewed

nikokapo said:
What if you just asked somebody to do your pen with any blu-ray diode but set it at 10-20ma?

It wouldn't lase, I believe the PS3 diodes ran comfortably at 38mA.

nikokapo said:
You would have to stare into the diode to see any violet at that current ;D

I'm sure you could get a good 5mW-10mW Blu-Ray pointer for a decent price considering the PS3 diodes (lower powered ones) are basically obsolete now. PM Dr. Lava pr themonk, they can build you a nice blu-ray pointer. I think the member rubberband also sells blu-ray pens.

on a side note, if you're going to be pointing a beam at a screen with a powerpoint being projected on it... wont you need the extra mW to see it over the high output bulb from the projector?

Im assembling more of my Blu-ray Pens next week. Here is a little sample of what they look like. I could turn down the pot for you if you see fit. asking price is $160, runs on 2 Ultra fire 3.7v (included) +$10 for a charger.

Attachments

• blu-raypen_003.jpg
    blu-raypen_003.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73

Hi,

i am selling a blu-ray laser running at 87ma, it is bright and the beam is pretty visable at night. but at the lower current it will last quite a long time and be probably just what you are looking for.

i am asking $150 + $5 shipping to us ask about international. and a 4% paypal fee. this includes batteries the charger is seperate for $10

sorry grave didn't see your post.

Thanks,
Mitch

here is a pic.

Attachments

• blu-ray_pic_1_001.JPG
    blu-ray_pic_1_001.JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 76

AZWoodWorker said:
I'm looking to purchase a 405nm laser pointer, fully assembled and tested.  I'm definitely not looking for something that will burn; that would be a downer for me as I'll be using it for presentations.  I'd prefer to have a pen-style setup.

If you know how to solder you don't forget how you do it. It's like riding a bycicle.

Why dont you buy a good driver from rckstr and a cheap blu-ray diode? that'd do it, it'd cost you A LOT less