Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

wrong class listing?

data

I ordered from laserpointerpro not expecting much judging by many posts here. Just got the order today 10 days later, not bad. I ordered a green 30mw and it is somewhat brighter than the standard 30mw for sale in the US.
However it's labeled class "3R" and I understand this to mean it's limited to less than 5mw. Can a 3R laser be above 5mw? Also the label reads ">30mw", is this standard labelling for a laser sold as 30mw??

Thanks in advance.

Trevor

It's a cheap Chinese laser. I'm astounded it even has a warning label.

A warning label with the correct information is far too much to ask.

Trevor

Last edited:
That is odd.
All three of the cheap ones I have, did not have a warning of any kind.

data

Guess I'm just wondering if class 3R is by definition less than 5mw. Searched around but only came up with the idea that 30mw could be rated 3R if it had a wide beam and thus less power by area. I'm skeptical. A coworker says he can measure the output so I'll have it checked.

Don't be so serious. The information on the warning label from chinese laser used to be a joke.

Last edited:
Guess I'm just wondering if class 3R is by definition less than 5mw. Searched around but only came up with the idea that 30mw could be rated 3R if it had a wide beam and thus less power by area. I'm skeptical. A coworker says he can measure the output so I'll have it checked.

As the others have said, don't pay much attention to the labels. They will often just dress the lasers up in such a way that they look compliant/legit to get through customs and look more professional. Often times the labels are entirely incorrect though. As as I understand though 3R is limited to 5mW for constant wave/visible lasers only, with different rules applying for pulsed or IR/UV.

data

Just checked the output of my purchase from laserpointer pro using a Newport power/energy meter selectable for wavelength. The green 30mw measured at 26mw, the red 10mw measured 37mw, and the violet 5mw measured 33mw.

If they don't die anytime soon they suit my needs and I'm happy. However I have zero confidence in powerclaims form this company.

Just checked the output of my purchase from laserpointer pro using a Newport power/energy meter selectable for wavelength. The green 30mw measured at 26mw, the red 10mw measured 37mw, and the violet 5mw measured 33mw.

If they don't die anytime soon they suit my needs and I'm happy. However I have zero confidence in powerclaims form this company.

Is laserpointerpro shipped from US?

data

No, shipped from Hong Kong. After placing the order I recieved a tracking number (China EMS) by email. After a week I tracked by both EMS and USPS and got the same info, about 4 scans. Arrived 10 days afer ordering.

The one thing you need to take away from this is NOT that you should doubt the power claims of that company. What you should take away is that you should doubt the power claims of MOST companies and almost ALL Chinese laser companies.

The FDA limits most laser pointers to 5mW or less, so everyone labels their product as - wait for it - 5mW or less.

But on eBay and other sites, you will see rather expensive pointers advertised as being military grade "high power" 5mW or less. They are saying, "hey, wink wink, this is a really bright 5mW or less laser wink wink!"

Most people don't care because they WANT to go more powerful than 5mW. But if you are a schoolteacher or a parent with young kids, etc... You might actually WANT a safe laser and that's when it becomes a problem trying to find a laser where they aren't going "wink wink."

Last edited:
As said before, the label is meaningless.

You should treat your laser as if it was a class 3B product.

I bought a 250 mw red. On the meter was reading 50.
Trashed it and kept the host for parts.

data

No doubt! I do a few cool demos for my daughters elementary school class using lasers; some fluorescence, pond drop projection.... kids love it and no better way to introduce concepts of light and optics. However I need to know I'm at low power for safety reasons.

No doubt! I do a few cool demos for my daughters elementary school class using lasers; some fluorescence, pond drop projection.... kids love it and no better way to introduce concepts of light and optics. However I need to know I'm at low power for safety reasons.

I have a bunch of low power 405nm and 532nm pointers on hand, if you need a specific low power range pointer you can PM me, I can meter one specifically under a safe level for you. Even the 30mW you mentioned probably isn't the safest to use around kids as an accidental beam to the eye can still do a bit of damage.

data

Hey thanks for the offer! Safety first and nothing over 5mw around kids.

I have a bunch of low power 405nm and 532nm pointers on hand, if you need a specific low power range pointer you can PM me, I can meter one specifically under a safe level for you. Even the 30mW you mentioned probably isn't the safest to use around kids as an accidental beam to the eye can still do a bit of damage.