Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

would like to make an ebay-clone, LPF oriented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there all.

Im a php developer, and was thinking,

what if i build an ebay-like kind of site, wich is "linked" to lpf

People like yob, jayrob, etc, would have an extra place to put their stuff,

We could have it so that members can login using their lpf login,
REP's could be scraped from LPF, stuff like that.

Imagin having to pay like 50 cents per listing, 25c going to the site itself, 25c going to LPF

Its just a tought for now, but what do u all think?

Would u post your parts, builds, kits etc on there? for an extra 50c

think about it, Thx in advance.

edit: some ideas so far:

we could have it so that members with a certain level of reputation, like yob etc, have free listings, compared to less-reputable members.
we could then also have it so that after a number of confirmed positive sales, u also get free listings.
we could have every posting appear automatically on our shop's facebook page (creating more interrest, and potentially more buyers)

Last edited:

I think ...I wish I had your ambition (or at least your skills to capitalize on a market ;)

I for one think this is a great idea.

Whats more, as you gain profit you can grow and expand to other market places. Perhaps a tech oriented Ebay, as opposed to Just "ebay" which is full of random shit...

Im not asking for a figure or anything personal. but id like to ask you to ask yourself how much money you can afford to put up for this. Because the market for LPF and hobbyists is very very small.

Its not likely you will get significant returns from 50c listings given the volume of demand (Or perhaps I am ignorant).. BUT if you want to provide this out of passion for this hobby...Ill just give u a rep for now.

You have to consider though, if its growth and market you are after. You may have to consider advertising to attract...less desireable...unsafe people. While the market and demand for "intelligent" laser hobbyists is very low ..there is a HUGE market..for average joe's with no education that just want a "cool laser that burns stuff to impress my friends!!!!" (just look at youtube comments on laser related media. I guarantee they aren't all educated members..or members period of any forums) and may even be deliberately irresponsible.

You may have an opportunity to not only sell, and profit from listings..but to provide education ...

Most of the websites in existence now that operate commercially for laser products..do have safety bulletins and warnings...but its hardly educational and more for legal and liability reasons...

Just food for thought

Last edited:
no see i wouldnt want to expand, i would like it oriented purely to laser-related items.

i really want to niche-target it towards laser-enthousiasts.

Would u put your items on there for 50c extra
@chuki, i assume u are not really a seller but u prolly ARE a buyer,

would u buy from a reputable LPF member, thru a site that is clearly in cooperation with LPF, where u can see the members, LPF rep etc.?

ALL input is welcom here

we could have it so that members with a certain level of reputation, like yob etc, have free listings, compared to less-reputable members.
we could then also have it so that after a number of confirmed positive sales, u also get free listings.

Last edited:
no see i wouldnt want to expand, i would like it oriented purely to laser-related items.

i really want to niche-target it towards laser-enthousiasts.

Would u put your items on there for 50c extra
@chuki, i assume u are not really a seller but u prolly ARE a buyer,

would u buy from a reputable LPF member, thru a site that is clearly in cooperation with LPF, where u can see the members, LPF rep etc.?

ALL input is welcom here

perhaps read my edit if you have not already. I did not expect such a quick reply. I am notorious on many venues for "quick" posting..and to avoid double posts I do perform frequent edits.

And yes. I would INDEED buy. It cannot be argued an extreme "need" for a consolidated, reliable source of products exists. My only concern is wether it is sustainable for you to operate given the limited transactions that occur in this market.

By expand I do not necessarily mean branching out into different tech markets (ill take that back)...but most of the business in the laser industry comes commercially no doubt. From high power and high quality applications. That could be a potential branching point...and you would need suppliers capable of such things ^_^.

Last edited:
did nto see your edit, as i was editing aswell, will read now ;)

edit: read it now.

Indeed, i am not really in it for the money (i also have a few different sites, that actually COST me money instead of MAKING me money.)
The only money it should really make, it what it would cost to keep it up and running, wich is not really that much.

A small $50 a month would prolly be enough.

if i where to set this up, i would defenantly dedicate a portion of the site towards safety.

Last edited:
Would buyers need to go through your Site to purchase
like eBay with Final Value Fees or will the Buyer be able
to contact the Seller and make an order directly like on
LPF...:thinking:

For the $0.50 that you mention... How long will the listing
be up on the site...:thinking:

Jerry

Last edited:
the 50c is just the first number that popped into my head.

As i sayed/said(wich is it?), it would be LPF oriented, so any item, that also has a sales page on LPF, would also get linked to the LPF post, also, my site would not actually be handling the purchase (unlike ebay actually does), it would be a collection, of for sale items. when interrested in an item, u could contact the seller, via our site,

or via LPF if there is a sales thread, or via PM on LPF if the item does not have a sales thread. (this could even be done straight from our site, when logging in using your LPF login)

Say the 50c would be for A listing in general, unlimited time, editable afterwards.

perhaps if u deleted the post, u could get the credits* back, and make a new post, using the credit* (so for $2, u would have 4 posts at any given time, u could delete 2, and make 2 new ones, etc)

Last edited:
(it is... said ;))

Since listing times would be unlimited I wouldn't see a need
for any credit when removing a listing...
The site would still need to be paid for and kept up to date...:beer:

Jerry

Last edited:
(it is... said ;))

Since listing times would be unlimited I wouldn't see a need
for any credit when removing a listing...
The site would still need to be paid for and kept up to date...:beer:

Jerry

yeps, plus, like i said, reputable members would not have to pay anything for their ad/post/whatever we call it.

I could perhaps ask another 50cents for an optional "featured post" option, wich would display the ad more prominently, on the homepage, whatever (onyl reputable members would be able to do this, as we would not want something "un-reputable" displayed prominently on the homepage)

ps: i also pm'ed yob, dtr and jayrob, asking for their input, am really looking forward to their input

jayrob

Sounds like an interesting idea...

Just wondering if something like this will be drawing away traffic from LPF though...

Yeah, seems like members who have kits or lasers, etc.. listed would have to pull double duty to keep up with LPF as well.. and I though thats what the Laser Pro Shop is kinda of set up like :thinking:

Last edited:
Sounds like an interesting idea...

Just wondering if something like this will be drawing away traffic from LPF though...

I don't think so Jay... He said that anything listed on that site
would have a link back to the B/S/T sections on LPF and even
link back to the listing sales threads here.

Yeah, seems like members who have kits or lasers, etc.. listed would have to pull double duty to keep up with LPF as well.. and I though thats what the Laser Pro Shop is kinda of set up like :thinking:

For some of us we are selling on 4-5 different venues as it
is... one more won't make a difference..:D

If a member can't or doesn't want to handle the extra
work then they just don't list anything...

Jerry

Last edited:
lol yeah, I didn't think about that. ;)

So in essence it would just be another portal with some linkbacks to the OP's sales thread or listing, seems like it would streamline lasers, components, and accesoires sales pretty well.

Last edited:
Might be nice to have everything in 1 place. Could also drive prices down and increase direct competition between sellers. Personally I would probBly use it all the time.

I see it as another window in the house to see what's
for sale inside..
Since it links back to here I can't see why prices would
change...

Jerry

I am really happy about the positive feedback here

it would defenantly not drive traffic away from LPF, if anything, i think it might drive extra traffic towards LPF.

Due to the shop beeing a different site, i can SEO the cr@p out of it, and attract people who dont even know about LPF, but are just looking for a laser, or laserpart, and they will then also get to know LPF.

Could also drive prices down and increase direct competition between sellers.
Indeed, this would benefit everyone.

Again, any more input/ideas/features u might like/whatever is welcome here.

Now what i need: is a NAME

Just brainstorm and post any name that comes to mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.