Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Worried 462nm might be "too" blue?

My original plan was to get myself a 505 and build myself my first laser. I don't currently have the funds to build a 505 so I went looking around for different wavelengths I might also need in the future.

I see JetLasers sell their 465 PL-E's and 462 Equality's respectively. I've read some reviews of the 465's pushing very close to 470 which would make my 473 moot, so that is a no-go. Their 462 seem more promising! If you take a look at my signature, the tool I use to determine wavelength color places 462 right between my 450 & 473, but right barely with a color change. Anyone who owns 473 and/or 450. Is 462 so different it's worth it for color alone? My eyes can detect color difference pretty well, so I think I could detect some color change.

Anything else I should know about these diodes? :)

-Alex

I'd say that diodes around there are pure blue without a purple glow, and a blue that doesn't seem to change appearance when you compare it to other wavelengths.

473 can look pretty deep blue compared to 488, and can look a lot greener (still blue... but different) compared to 450... That's about all I can say for it. It's very blue no matter how you look at it.

Edit: my comparison (472 vs 465)
48PdBvq.jpg

Last edited:
^Thanks Z!

If that color is what you see yourself, not just the camera, then 462 would appear even more different! JetLasers has their 1.4W model for $189 as a base price. Probably around $250 when I buy goggles and all the extra goodies.

I think I'll pick one up once I have the funds. How is the beam on the 462/465? Kind of a like 445, no?

-Alex

Yup - that color is as accurate to real life as I could get it.

Beam specs are sadly just like the 445's... very square, and have the phantom box...
UD6SiD2.jpg

472 (left) has a G-lens, and the square is more pronounced... and the 465 (right) has a 3-element, and the box isn't quite as bad. I'm not sure what jetlasers uses, but if you don't care about the slight power drop, and if you can choose a lens, I'd avoid a G-lens on these... but I'm a stickler for nicer beam specs.

Last edited:
Darn. I don't really mind how the beam characteristics are, just mostly color is what I'm going for here. How well does it burn? Is it instant or do you have time before it burns through your wall :p

-Alex

I thought that first photo was edited for color. The second one looks the same color for both. The problem with these wavelengths is they are all pretty blue. If you see a difference, it should be done side by side and with close to the same powers. Nothing up to 4 watts is going to burn your walls unless they are black. I can see a difference between 477nm and 445nm side by side, but they're are a lot further apart.

Last edited:
I thought that first photo was edited for color. The second one looks the same color for both. The problem with these wavelengths is they are all pretty blue. If you see a difference, it should be done side by side and with close to the same powers. Nothing up to 4 watts is going to burn your walls unless they are black. I can see a difference between 477nm and 445nm side by side, but they're are a lot further apart.

Thanks Paul.

I actually was looking at videos on using a C6 host to build a laser, and a 505 looks really easy to do. Im going to head to a store nearby tomorrow & get a soldering iron to get ready for my first build! :D

-Alex

If you have any questions, Alex, don't hesitate to ask. I have built many laser pointers and would be happy to lend a hand if needed. On a soldering iron..... get one with a small tip so you won't get too much solder on your contact points.

Last edited:
If you have any questions, Alex, don't hesitate to ask. I have built many laser pointers and would be happy to lend a hand if needed.

Thanks Paul!

Im assuming I simply need to solder the red/black wires to the blank battery board, correct? Everything else should just be straightforward. What temperature do you recommend for this when soldering? :D

-Alex

My M462 2.2 Watt 462mn is a great looking blue, anything higher looks kind of like a "washed out" pale blue IMO......

My M462 2.2 Watt 462mn is a great looking blue, anything higher looks kind of like a "washed out" pale blue IMO......

Thanks for your input Accutronitis. I've found that tool to be pretty spot on accurate to what I see, but decided real life examples would be more of a "trusted" source. :beer:

-Alex

Nothing up to 4 watts is going to burn your walls unless they are black.

My room has recent white paint and I have about 15 black outlined oval divots in various locations about 15 feet away from an m462 pushed through a G7 lens focused to infinity. :beer::beer::beer:

Thanks Paul!

Im assuming I simply need to solder the red/black wires to the blank battery board, correct? Everything else should just be straightforward. What temperature do you recommend for this when soldering? :D

-Alex

I have several solder stations, but the one I use all the time now is a temperature controlled one with a fine tip set for 270 degrees C. It works very well for me. Under certain conditions I have increased the temp to 350 C, but not often.

My room has recent white paint and I have about 15 black outlined oval divots in various locations about 15 feet away from an m462 pushed through a G7 lens focused to infinity. :beer::beer::beer:

That's about 2+ watts and I have never seen this happen with my white painted walls in the six years I've been here. I can't get 3 watts to even darken white printer paper. I don't know what is going on with your walls, but it seems quite out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
Mine can do the same thing.....

GSS

Darn. I don't really mind how the beam characteristics are, just mostly color is what I'm going for here. How well does it burn? Is it instant or do you have time before it burns through your wall :p

-Alex
Hap do you want to burn? or worried about it?
Just a bit curious before the burn bragging posts start to pile up:whistle:

Last edited:
Anyone claim they can light white printer paper, or even darken it, with a 2+ watt laser? If it will burn white painted walls, it should to the same with white printer paper.