Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wnat is minimum power to pop?

If they'd just make the dang things focusable like cheap red modules are (HINT) :mad:, they'd only have to have one laser instead of two, and the usefulness would go way up. :cool:

T

timelord

laserk said:
i didnt know it was even being hyped...

i didnt hear about it till like 2 days ago.  :cool:
IMO They should have just replaced the normal range with the Evolution and kept the price the same or lower it.

I'm trying to get this back on topic. Has anyone acutally popped any balloons using a 35-40mw laser, say at 2 inches?

Neo

anybody ever put Butane lighter fluid (gas) into a baloon and pop it? Would the heat of the laser on the balloon be enough to ignite the gas? I may try it later this week - once my Aries gets here... Obviously I'll stay far away just in case ::)

L

laser

First of all, the butane thing wont work. I have tried that numerous time, and I have been asked that numerous times, and i wish you could, but i have yet to find a way to do it. i was thinking maybe a sort of match inside which you could light, which would ignite the gas.

And yes someone has popped a balloon with a 17mw blue laser. they used the best lense ever, on the darkest balloon ever. lol. i cant remember who.

Yep - the match inside will work.  Tie the end of it into the knot and hang it upside down so it doesn't touch the sides.   How can you get close enough to it to focus on the match accurately without blowing yourself up?  Maybe 5-6 matches together so you have a bigger target?

Someone earlier mentioned some felt that ignites????   Maybe cut a strip and hang it inside? [smiley=evil.gif]

You would also have to use a white balloon , so the balloon didnt pop before the match was lit.

Neo

I think this can be done - just be careful whoever tries it... And be darn sure to get it on video... :)

L

laser

i would not recomend doing this. although i have tried it. i am never going to try it again. its too hard. i mean come on, suspending a match inside a clear balloon that is somehow filled with a flamable gas? hard to do.

S

SenKat

Well - it was pretty hard to pop one balloon inside another - yet I did it ! Timelord popped a WHIT balloon (no sharpie, either) with his DL-125 - so it CAN be done....just takes some planning :)

stevetexas said:
anybody ever put Butane lighter fluid (gas) into a baloon and pop it? Would the heat of the laser on the balloon be enough to ignite the gas? I may try it later this week - once my Aries gets here... Obviously I'll stay far away just in case ::)

Humm..now u got me thinkin!..... you could put a match inside a jar thats submersed in Gasoline!....

definately don't try that one kiddies... you will instantly ignite your whole living room!

Oh.. and another tip for popping balloons... hit the balloon dead straight on... glancing shots loose energy.

Windstrings - that would be suicidal!!!! :eek: Even I don't recommend that trick - although it would be very cool. Too much could go wrong and you might dammage the Herc. Also, you might get burned or injured. ;)

Certainly not an indoors trick!!!

Maybe if you were in a tank and shot the laser out the gun...

But, with the power of your Herc, maybe you could get the distance right to do it "safely"...

stevetexas said:
But, with the power of your Herc, maybe you could get the distance right to do it "safely"...

Well, I can pop a balloon at 25 feet, but I doubt I could burn a match in a glass that far!.... I can only burn a match up to about 15 feet anyway.... when I get my secret weapon.. maybe I'll try that!

windstrings said:
[quote author=stevetexas link=1170977501/15#29 date=1171321411]

Well, I can pop a balloon at 25 feet, but I doubt I could burn a match in a glass that far!.... I can only burn a match up to about 15 feet anyway.... when I get my secret weapon.. maybe I'll try that!
[/quote]

well, "if it isn't Mr. Fancypants..."  :)  :)  :)  

Too bad you can "ONLY" burn a match at a "MEASLY" 15 feet away.  

Holy Crap - that is some power.  (anyone know what movie I quoted above?)