Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Will this build work?

ginhev123

Hello!

I was thinking of buying this:

DIY Empty CLASSIC Host for Laser Pointer ( Complete Set )
which is a complete host, heatsinking, etc. and all I need is a 5,6mm laser diode and a circuit board smaller then 15*20mm.

So I thought this diode:
300mW 650nm High Power red laser diode | eBay

would do and a circuit board.

Without the circuit board the total price is around $40.

What does a maximum 15*20mm circuit board cost?

And how would I assemble a build like this? Is the heatsink of the laser to small? (You see it in the pictures on lazerer)

Help would be appreciated!

My budget is $75-$100 and that's why I'm askin, I don't have a lot of cash. (I have goggles from DinoDirect but I guess they don't work well - so please recommend me a pair of goggles too for each color, so while I'm buying I can buy for other colors to - the goggles are on another budget, not the laser budget!)

Well, for starters, it kind of depends on which batteries you plan on using before you pick a driver. I believe you can use an 18650 or 2x 16340s in this host. if you are going with the 18650 you'll need a boost driver wich will cost you around $25-$30. If you want to use 16340s (which will give you less run time) you could get away with using a linear driver. those are a lot cheaper, around $10 bucks.

You're also going to have to do something about the switch. Hopefully someone else can help you out with that.

Eudaimonium has a heatsink kit and a tutorial available here:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/new-heatsinks-classic-style-host-67435.html