Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will there ever be a brown laser ?

julianthedragon

Same thing happens to me with white. Too red too blue…ahh perfect. Next day too red too blue….
White balance on cameras exists for a similar reason. "White" objects can totally change their look based on the temperature of the ambient light around them. Daylight makes white things appear bluer while indoor tungsten lights make them orange. If you ever take a photo with two different temperature light sources, you will find it impossible to adjust the universal white balance correctly; parts will always appear more orange or blue than you want unless you apply a local edit with something like photoshop.

So I want to hypothesize that with white laser displays, your eye expects to see the same color that "white" objects in the room are. Unlike a camera or digital software, the eye adjusts to the environment so if you're in blue daylight for example, "white" objects in the room will continue to appear white even if in reality they are slightly blue. Adjusting the display to that offwhite blue color will work wonders, that is until night falls and your environment is now artifical light, at which point you will see the laser display as the blue because your eye expects the more orangey white.

edit - There is already technology for certain desktop monitors and Apple devices that automatically adjusts the white point of the display based on ambient lighting conditions, so implementing similar technology into a laser display sounds possible if it hasn't been done already. Could help for white or "brown"

kecked

True true. Makes sense. Since I viewed mainly at night in same room once set it usually stayed correct. Move venue game over.