Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wide beam low diverging laserpointers

darsie

It should be as simple as using a wider collimating lens to get a wider, lower diverging beam, maybe with a torch style body, at not much more expense, yet I haven't found a green DPSS laserpointer like this. How come? Where are they? It should be popular. Can we get someone to do it? I don't want an expensive LP and screw on an expensive expander. (AR coated?) glass lenses might be interesting, too.

x.gif

Yes, you could just use a longer focal length lens to get a wider beam. Though it needs to have a longer focal length and still be the correct width lens. I think some of the standard lense (G8, 3-elemtn etc.) do have a little different focal lengths, I don't know if any existing ones give near the maximum beam diameter for the lens size. If you wanted to stick with the standard axiz housing lens size you could just buy several lenses of different focal lengths and try them out. Calculating/testings the FL of lenses is easy. If you know what final beam diameter you'd like, you could easiy calculat out the FL and optic dia needed to produce it.

I mean, yes, the manufacturers could change the lens FL's to get a wider beam,, but I don't think any will do so just to sell an small handful to people like you and me. And I can't think of any particular uses that require wider beams.
At least the nice thing about experimenting with beam diameters is that it is something that can be fairly easily experimented with. If you want a larger beam, you can probably DIY it.

I believe what you want is just a beam expander. Members have made small ones and integrated them into the host. But those were custom builds.