Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wickedlasers Fusion partially gutted

Amnizu

So for the longest time, I've wondered what it's like inside the slick-looking case of my Wickedlasers Executive series Fusion. Just now, with a microfiber cloth and my trusty leatherman, I was able to remove the end cap that houses the lens.

The only problem with my Fusion, aside from being terribly underspec, is that it has a massive scratch on the lens. In removing the end lens, I've fixed this problem. The only thing is, I think this is also the IR filter. I have a pocket universal remote from thinkgeek, that flashes IR when I look at it through my digital camera, but when I tried to look for the flashes through the lens, I couldn't see any.

Aside from that potentially UNcool discovery, I made a very cool one: it appears as though the focus can be adjusted through turning the end of the diode. You'll see what I mean in the pictures below. Upon further experimenting though, it doesn't seem to change the dot size at all. It's probably just for assembly/disassembly of the unit.

Now, on to the pictures:

Note how easily the finish comes off the Executive series. I kept this thing in my Dragon case whenever it wasn't in my hand, and it still didn't help at all.

Amnizu

I've just confirmed that the lens is the IR filter, I tested it on my Kenometer without the lens, and it measured 137mW with mostly-dead batteries. Definitely leaking IR.

It lights matches like crazy now, though. Finally, it performs like they said it should.

WL actually uses decent IR filtration, i cannot detect and IR coming from either or my WL units

Yeah, no IR filter is perfectly ineffective. There are plenty of problem with WL, but when you get right down to it they aren't THAT bad. There are many far worse companies held in higher respects

Switch

pseudonomen137 said:
Yeah, no IR filter is perfectly ineffective. There are plenty of problem with WL, but when you get right down to it they aren't THAT bad. There are many far worse companies held in higher respects
Like say dragonlasers? :D
Well yea, they aren't that bad but they cost WAY TOO MUCH.It's not WL's only flaw but I think it's the biggest.....nowhere else have I seen lasers more expensive ::)

Amnizu

Switch said:
[quote author=pseudonomen137 link=1205508370/0#4 date=1205612087]Yeah, no IR filter is perfectly ineffective. There are plenty of problem with WL, but when you get right down to it they aren't THAT bad. There are many far worse companies held in higher respects
Like say dragonlasers? :D
[/quote]

Not in my topic, son. Not in my topic. Bash DL all you want elsewhere.

Amnizu

spyrorocks said:
Haha.

Would be interesting to look at a total WL fusion teardown ;)

If I was confident I could get it back together properly, I'd take it apart and post pictures.