Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WickedLaser Core vs. Lyra Series Laser 5mW from Laserglow vs. Novalasers X15

My Wickedlasers Core was recently stollen and I have figured out I can not live without a laser. I did notice the output varying and the laser was unresponsive a lot of the time before it was stollen, I do not know why this was ocurring, maybe because i left the batteries in for a long time, little falls, or another reason? So now I am faced with the question of what new laser to buy. I am interested in a more powerful laser but i am worried about the "legal" power of 5 mw, as well as safety issues as accidently blinding someone even if i was being careful. I also just watched some videos about people getting in trouble for shining it at planes and stuff so i am a little worried too, even though i would never think about it doing something as stupid as that.

All in all, i would be content with another 5 mW, however I am not sure if i would purchase the Core or a Lyra Series Laser 5mW from Laserglow. The Lyra is more expensive if I purchase the Core from the ebay dealer, but i was pleased with the Core during the time that i had it, and wonder if i actually caused the damage that caused its loss quality? If i were to get a more powerful laser I have been looking at the Novalasers X15 Compact Portable Laser ($79) as a condidate. I dont think i would be interested in anything more powerful because I am worrried about accidently harming someone by accident.

My main purpose of owning a laser is for fooling around. Shining it into the sky enjoying the beam, or pointing it at far objects. I care a lot about quaility. So basically my questions are:
1) Is there a real difference between 5mW and 15 mW that is worth buying the 15 mW?
2) Am I being too worried about the power of the 15mW?
3) WickedLaser Core vs. Lyra Series Laser 5mW from Laserglow vs. Novalasers X15

Note: I have looked at as many threads as i could have and just couldn't find a specific answer so please do not hound me for "not searching". Any help would be appreciated as well as first hand testimonials. Thanks

Eku

15mw is over the safe level so I'd go with the lyra series it is PURE quality and unbeatable, the problems you were having with the core were proberly from poor workmanship from Wickedlasers which is not surprising.

So if you want to replace your core, get a lyra.

karbon

from what i have read all over the forum is that nova is best by far, many people are disappointed with the lasers they receive from wicked. my advice is stick to nova :)

Eku

Yes if you are gonna use it for general pointing and/or showing it to your friends 5mw would be a better choice IMO.

Is the higher price of the laserglow worth the extra quality? Is there a better laser out there? For some reason i think i couldnt go back to a 5 mW....a craving for power.

Eku

I'd say yes, but novalasers has epic quality too.

Why don't you get a lyra series 5mw for safety and the x-15 for MORE POWER but less safety.

i geuss what i am asking is if the 15 mW is actually that dangerous at all, or i am just being paranoid? So I just read that anythingless than 20 mW isnt that dangerous unless it is shined directly in someone's eyes. Should i still stick with the 5 mW, and if I do what Lyra Series Laser should i get? The newer model with the better current control? Or a completely different laser that is better? I want to order tonight so quick help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Ya I wish I could buy both but this is just a one purchase deal. So I am now down to a laserglow laser. I only have a few more questions:

1) Is there any way I could remove the clip on the lasers? I will not be clipping it to anything and i really dont like the way it looks. I would probabaly take it off and put a sticker on it.
2) What are the benefits of being able to focus your laser? Would it just be a pain if i just want to use the laser and not worry about focusing it?

So is being able to focus just a pain or awesome? What are the benefits? Is it easy to fucus for just normal-everday use, say for long distances and then just for a wider beam?

Eku

You could focus it for burning or pointing but you won't be able to burn with a 5mw so I'd proberly get fixed focus.

Would it be usable when wanting to see a bigger beam? Or is that not enough to go for it?

Eku

Bigger beam is less visable.

Get a fixed focus one choose a housing colour and your done.

I'll be back later...