Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wicked Lasers Spyder II BX 473nm Questions

XM360

Hello,
I am posting this thread to see if I can get the LPF community's assistance with some questions. I recently got my hands on the Wicked Lasers Spyder II BX 473nm. As a laser reviewer and collector, this was a big one on my list due to its rarity. The laser came in yesterday, and I've noticed some usually things. The beam is very unstable with clearly visible power fluctuations, and is only clocking in at 5mw to 12mw. I'm also seeing that the yellow indicator light on the side of the laser is just barely turning on. My particular laser appears to be a very early production model, as the tailcap does not have the removable safety key. I've basically had zero luck finding any other technical reviews on this laser. All I've found is this:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/testing-473nm-laser-95585.html

I've attached some photos below. So my questions are as follows: Does this laser's power output exhibit behavior that would be consistent with such early handheld 473nm technology (2007 or earlier)? And does the low to non-functioning indicator light indicate power problems, or could this be unrelated?

I'm mostly trying to figure out if this laser is damaged in some way or operating properly. Any information at all is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1690 (1) (1).jpg
    IMG_1690 (1) (1).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1698.JPG
    IMG_1698.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1696.JPG
    IMG_1696.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1697.JPG
    IMG_1697.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 55

First, let me say I really enjoy your YouTube videos, I try to watch every single laser one you post! :D

Regarding the laser, probably. 473 in it's infancy(around that time) was expensive and unpractical in terms of being fitted in a handheld or portable host. Getting that kind of power from a handheld unit back in the day would probably be like comparing it to getting 10mW's+ of 594 in a pen. I'd be very unlikely and if you did, you'd be one lucky person.

I'm sure people with more experience will chime in. Just my thoughts. :)

-Alex

diachi

Hello,
I am posting this thread to see if I can get the LPF community's assistance with some questions. I recently got my hands on the Wicked Lasers Spyder II BX 473nm. As a laser reviewer and collector, this was a big one on my list due to its rarity. The laser came in yesterday, and I've noticed some usually things. The beam is very unstable with clearly visible power fluctuations, and is only clocking in at 5mw to 12mw. I'm also seeing that the yellow indicator light on the side of the laser is just barely turning on. My particular laser appears to be a very early production model, as the tailcap does not have the removable safety key. I've basically had zero luck finding any other technical reviews on this laser. All I've found is this:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/testing-473nm-laser-95585.html

I've attached some photos below. So my questions are as follows: Does this laser's power output exhibit behavior that would be consistent with such early handheld 473nm technology (2007 or earlier)? And does the low to non-functioning indicator light indicate power problems, or could this be unrelated?

I'm mostly trying to figure out if this laser is damaged in some way or operating properly. Any information at all is greatly appreciated!

What is the output power supposed to be?

Have you verified that the batteries are good/fully charged?

Output stability issues wouldn't surprise me from a 10 year old 473nm handheld, even new it was very likely unstable. Even modern 473s can be unstable, such is life with portable DPSS.

Hell, I had a newer (2009-10 maybe? Can't remember, around then.) 532nm Spyder and it wasn't at all stable.

Last edited:

Encap

Very collectible laser! Very few exist.
Definitely not up to par as when new--maybe is crystal alignment or age --maybe diode output reduced due to age or ageing of driver ---I assume you used a fresh battery.
The Spyder I had an output of 40mW in the 473nm blue ($3499) see: About us - Wicked Lasers

Last edited:

diachi

Very collectible laser! Very few exist.
Definitely not up to par as when new--maybe is crystal alignment or age --maybe diode output reduced due to age or ageing of driver ---I assume you used a fresh battery.
The Spyder I had an output of 40mW in the 473nm blue ($3499) see: About us - Wicked Lasers

Yup, if low power after 10 years and batteries are good I'd put my money on crystal or pump degradation, assuming it was ever up to spec in the first place.

XM360

That link about the group buy is very interesting, although I haven't heard anything about those units actually being created! And I've tried several different brands of fully charged 18650's, only to reach the same results. I snagged this particular unit on eBay for $300, and at this point am weighing whether or not my investment was worth it

That link about the group buy is very interesting, although I haven't heard anything about those units actually being created! And I've tried several different brands of fully charged 18650's, only to reach the same results. I snagged this particular unit on eBay for $300, and at this point am weighing whether or not my investment was worth it

Meh. You chould have purchased a 50mW 473 PL-E from JetLasers for that price.

PL-E Pro DPSS 473nm Blue Laser

I guess the only thing going for it is it's a unique laser :D

-Alex

Last edited:

Encap

Spyder II spec says 15 mW to 30mW 473nm TEM03. So if it is a Spyder II 12 mW is pretty close to the low end of the spec--not bad see: Spyder II GX

Last edited:
First off, very jealous on the laser. I use to go to the WL website all the time in my early teens and drool over the GX II. IIRC this model was sold as operating in TEM03 (4 dots!!) and I would be shocked if the laser was stable, especially after so long. Plus the advertised power was 20mW, and WL was known for lasers not living up to spec, so 5mW to 12mW after a decade sounds pretty good really.

If I had that laser, I'd wait till the 488nm diodes came down in price a bit more and then drop one in there. Would be the most s3xy handheld laser I could imagine.

XM360

Ya, I'm a sucker for rare collectibles. And Encap, thank you very much for pointing that out. I've visited that page a handful of times, but never noticed the part that states the BX's power rating at 15-30mw. I always assumed that spec sheet was only for the GX. That puts my mind at ease a lot!

XM360

Thanks for all the info, definitely gonna keep this one now! And awesome to get a reply from you styropyro, your vids were part of what pushed me into the laser hobby!

Encap

Thanks for all the info, definitely gonna keep this one now! And awesome to get a reply from you styropyro, your vids were part of what pushed me into the laser hobby!

Spyder II 473nm was $1999 --expensive-- and it was the first handheld laser to feature TEC cooling. Examples are rare and $300 is a good price for one--- with all the laser collectors and WL fans--I think you will always be able to sell it for that or more

Last edited:
The third picture in your first post... man that is filled with nostalgia straight from the time before we had 445's. In a sense I miss the days it was a pipe dream to get a blue laser... in another sense I don't think I'll ever own a laser I like more than my 485nm.

And styro... why would you tear apart a 473nm relic like this... at least do it to one of the 532nm variants :rolleyes: I certainly plan on it...

Glad you like the videos!! And again nice score on the laser, these do not show up for sale often!

The third picture in your first post... man that is filled with nostalgia straight from the time before we had 445's. In a sense I miss the days it was a pipe dream to get a blue laser... in another sense I don't think I'll ever own a laser I like more than my 485nm.
Ain't that the truth...for a while I thought I'd never see a blue laser. Now they are by far the highest power diodes available to us. :O Jealous of the 485nm, BTW.

And styro... why would you tear apart a 473nm relic like this... at least do it to one of the 532nm variants :rolleyes: I certainly plan on it...
That is a good point...gutting a still functioning early 473nm pointer would be disrespectful in some way. In that case I hope I come across a 532nm GX II sometime soon.