Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Why there are no strong Red lasers?

the aperture protects the lens. the beam is way smaller than the hole in the aperture. Plus, as RA said, it's not a laser diode, it's a solid state laser, so it makes a nicer beam already.

Red is strong, just looks dimmer.

Green is much brighter, but the beam is also generally thinner when "focused to infinity"

hypothetical red and green lasers, both output the same power, both focused to infinity.
green will look brighter than red (green puts out more lumens)
green will burn stuff better than red because of its smaller diameter. Think all that power going into a smaller spot than the red.

That's exactly what I was trying to say

Red is strong, just looks dimmer.
True
Green is much brighter, but the beam is also generally thinner when "focused to infinity"
True, DPSS lasers have better divergence then diodes. But it is the design of the DPSS that produces better divergence, the IR diode in a green has terrible divergence. Only after passing through the crystals and optics does the divergence become good.
hypothetical red and green lasers, both output the same power, both focused to infinity.
Only if they are outputting the same mW's
green will look brighter than red (green puts out more lumens)
The human eye is more sensitive to colors close to green, so it is perceived as brighter.
green will burn stuff better than red because of its smaller diameter. Think all that power going into a smaller spot than the red
Green will burn better then red because green is a shorter wavelength. Colors have nothing to do with beam size, optics do, as already stated.

Last edited:
I kind of goofed on the wording of my post. I was in a rush :undecided:

Let me rephrase that last paragraph.

Let's say, hypothetically, that you have two lasers: a red and a green.
Let us also say that both are typical pointer setups, and both put out 5mW of power.
For whatever reason, green lasers are typically smaller at the aperature. It doesn't have to do with the color, it doesn't have to do with how much power is going in or coming out of it. It's just a side-effect of a typical green dpss module*.

Now, wavelength affects how much energy a light "particle" can have, smaller wavelengths meaning higher frequency and more stored energy. This no doubt contributes to the greater effectiveness that green has with regards to burning.

again, a rushed attempt, as things have suddenly become busy here.

*I'm thinking this is because the frequency doubled green comes from the small lasing area of the yag that really doesn't have to be collimated more, while the red LD emits light in a spreading pattern that spreads too quickly to be collimated while the diameter is still small. At this point, these are just thoughts floating through my head. I wish I had an optical lab in my basement.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. The Icecrown frostwyrms were a logistical headache for guild leaders who had to juggle players needing the heroics against players who still needed the "regular" achievementsBuy WOW Gold. Any new or reserve raiders who came in just restarted the issuCheap RS Gold.Cataclysm Dungeon Hero Fairly straightforward; you'll get this for successful completion of all nine Cataclysm heroics, which I should note includes heroic Deadmines and Shadowfang Keep. Even the normal versions of these dungeons are not pushovers and to be honest, as a tank, I'm a little nervous about the inevitable transition period from Wrath's festival of AOE to Cataclysm's "CC everything!" model. We have very available stock ofRuneScape Gold on most of the servers and we can deliver your WOW RuneScape Gold on the order in a short while.

Wrong forum genius

Last edited by a moderator:

midias

My 211mw bluray lights matches quite quickly.

Here is a video 60mw bluray vs 211 mw bluray