Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Who here's from Australia?

if they can see how it goes back together, and it has batteries with it, or common (e.g. double a) batteries, and they can get it to produce a beam, they'll meter it. >1mw = confiscation.

Oh, I'm from NSW as well :p

That's good to know, sounds even easier than expected to circumvent.

if they can see how it goes back together, and it has batteries with it, or common (e.g. double a) batteries, and they can get it to produce a beam, they'll meter it. >1mw = confiscation.

Oh, I'm from NSW as well :p

well i think i was lucky! Cause it arrived today and works!
It was all disassembled.

Anyone in australia that can give me some advice?

Can i use a green 100mw laser outside? Like point at the sky as long as there is no plane or helicopter? Can i take to the beach and point to the ocean, as far away as possible?

I want to use it at night, somewhere outside my house, but dont want it taken from me or go to jail.

vk2fro

Dont attract attention to yourself. Wait until a time your way out bush or something similar where theres no cops, people or planes (except your friends if you go camping for example) and experiment with it outdoors there.

I just recieved a 300mw Red Diode from ebay, so it seems individual components shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone know where to buy some quality safety googles / glasses in Aust?

AUS

I just recieved a 300mw Red Diode from ebay, so it seems individual components shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone know where to buy some quality safety googles / glasses in Aust?

Components aren't banned for import. Make sure you use a proper constant current driver so you don't blow it up.

I got both my sets of glasses from eBay for $15 each, but you take a gamble. Mine do work, I tried them on a laser power meter.

One pair does the green / blue wavelengths and one does red.

I also bought a $15 pair from eBay, but then I considered that they may not actually work and I don't have the tools to test them. But judging by what you said im pretty confident.

AUS

I guess the quick & dirty check is to shine a laser through them at a piece of paper and see if anything comes out the other side. If nothing does then at least then you know they have SOME protection.

NIX

Anyone in australia that can give me some advice?

Can i use a green 100mw laser outside? Like point at the sky as long as there is no plane or helicopter? Can i take to the beach and point to the ocean, as far away as possible?

I want to use it at night, somewhere outside my house, but dont want it taken from me or go to jail.

i most states in aus it is not illegal to own a high power laser pointer. however it is illegal to missuse a laser DO NOT POINT at planes people or animals i didnt know it was a plane i thought it was a ufo
i was pointing there before the plane came

do beware as the police may mislead you and take your laser

vk2fro

Nix, I hate to tell you, but if its got flashy lights, is in the sky, and is accompanied by a whoop whoop or roaring sound, its a plane or helicopter. If its doesnt seem like one still treat it like one and dont point a laser at it.

Besides, if it was a ufo you'd be dead by now. If the aliens had a ufo, their pointers will be a bit more powerful than yours :p

Its not illegal to own laser pointer in all states, provided in some states you have the correct permit, much like a handgun license, but not as strict (i.e. you dont need a safe bolted to the floor or weighing in excess of a certain weight). Same goes for high powered transmitters. Without a radio license, if they see it can be connected to a power source and an antenna and keyed up your in big trouble. Even if the 3 components (antenna, tx and power source) are sitting on the shelf in their boxes! With the proper license (private ham radio) you can do up to a kW of transmission with a special permit. The same rings true for high powered CB's, guns, fireworks etc.

Last edited:
QUEENSLANDER!!! Any way, I'm also new here and had a hard time finding out the regulations. This is the Australian customs website:firearms and weapons
If you scroll down to"Common weapons list" it tells you under "Not controlled" you can import "laser modules; laser diodes; laser lighting".