Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Who can help me check what's this?

Evans

Somebody tell me it's the laser pointer pen parts , but I wonder which concrete part is this ?

Attachments

• Laser.jpg
    Laser.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 105

diachi

Somebody tell me it's the laser pointer pen parts , but I wonder which concrete part is this ?

Concrete part? You mean the damaged part with the copper wire showing? That's an inductor. Couldn't tell you the value though.

Evans

Ok, thanks , I can confirm it's inductor now. But is this in the switch?

I do not beleive that's an inductor, but a power output choke.
I found a nearly identical one here: ACM4520V-231-2P-T00 TDK Corporation | Filters | DigiKey
And yes it is in the switching regulator, if that's what you mean
I would think that it's an inductor to regulate the driver, but the component to do that labelled l3 on the left. A choke would make much more sense so that you don't push 50 volts through the diodewhen the power is cut

Yes the broken part with the copper windings showing is an inductor, if you look at the spring at the base it looks like a driver, the little squares to the sides of the spring are a good clue, I have seen these before.

This looks like a boost driver for a laser pointer/pen that's made narrow with the battery spring on the board.

The squares give it away.
driver859_zpsxlhsehgz.png

Here is one like yours out of a pen size pointer, the inductor is near the input spring.
driveriy898_zpshamu4jhp.png

driveriy898b_zpstmnj4fts.png

Last edited:

diachi

I do not beleive that's an inductor, but a power output choke.
I found a nearly identical one here: ACM4520V-231-2P-T00 TDK Corporation | Filters | DigiKey
And yes it is in the switching regulator, if that's what you mean
I would think that it's an inductor to regulate the driver, but the component to do that labelled l3 on the left. A choke would make much more sense so that you don't push 50 volts through the diodewhen the power is cut

Those don't look like the same components to me but may serve the same purpose. If we're going to be picky a choke is technically an inductor... :D

You could be right though - seeing as there *is* another inductor there - it would make sense for the second one to be a choke to filter out any noise or what have you. :D

Those don't look like the same components to me but may serve the same purpose. If we're going to be picky a choke is technically an inductor... :D

You could be right though - seeing as there *is* another inductor there - it would make sense for the second one to be a choke to filter out any noise or what have you. :D

This is true. Power chokes usually have larger wire, more resistance and a ferite core. That's what made me guess that this was a choke.

I could be wrong, but it's a very classic looking layout, likely from a pointer pen.

It's all good my friends :beer: