Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Who can fix this laser?

rvrh3

Hello, I recently received the wicked lasers <200mW laser after several months of waiting. Last night I accidentally dropped it from about a foot height. Upon inspection I found that the thermal adhesive that was used to secure the module in place had broken lose, and by securing the module where it was before, it would still lase just fine. Today I tried securing the module in place with rubber washers and it feels like its solid, the way it was before. Problem is that it is no longer emitting light. IS there anyone reputable enough and knowledgeable enough to fix this laser? I just don't want to mail it back to wicked lasers and have to wait another 4 or 5 months just to fix it or replace it.

thank you!,
Roberto

Fenzir

No expert here but did you try taking the washer back out and seeing if it worked then?

It's a greenie, you probablly knocked the crystal loose and it is out of alignment. You are playing with fire! If you hit the button and look down the lense apeture, YOU ARE LOOKING INTO A FIRING I.R. LASER and are damaging your eyes (most likely).

If you strip everything down, you maybe able to realign the crystal (but it is doubtful), glue it back in place, reassemble. But that is a tricky option best left to someone who knows what they are doing. You got a real problem, best bet is send it back to WL. they Will charge for repair (and likely send you a new pointer back) and it will take forever. Or, you could buy another pointer from somewhere else and probablly get a better deal and better laser. Sorry.

rvrh3

No expert here but did you try taking the washer back out and seeing if it worked then?

Yes, I took them out but nothing :-/

It's a greenie, you probablly knocked the crystal loose and it is out of alignment. You are playing with fire! If you hit the button and look down the lense apeture, YOU ARE LOOKING INTO A FIRING I.R. LASER and are damaging your eyes (most likely).

Well actually this laser has an IR filter. Besides that, the only way I have tested whether any light was coming out or not was indirectly, with my camcorder or by trying it onto a flat surface at about 1cm to look for a green reflection. I respect the awful power of lasers :)

Forget all that crystal stuff said there.

If your module was dislodged, so has it's electrical connection to the host itself. Battery negative might be touching the spring, but battery positive is supposed to go through the host, and into the module case.

If you used anything non-conductive, your positive path is broken and the circuit is not completed.

When having you module back inside the host, make sure that module's brass part touches the exposed aluminium part of the host for electrical connection.

At least, this is what I figure happened from your explanation given. Try taking a few pictures, perhaps we can give better diagnosis then :)

Last edited:

rvrh3

Forget all that crystal stuff said there.

If your module was dislodged, so has it's electrical connection to the host itself. Battery negative might be touching the spring, but battery positive is supposed to go through the host, and into the module case.

If you used anything non-conductive, your positive path is broken and the circuit is not completed.

When having you module back inside the host, make sure that module's brass part touches the exposed aluminium part of the host for electrical connection.

At least, this is what I figure happened from your explanation given. Try taking a few pictures, perhaps we can give better diagnosis then :)

That would make perfect sense but the module is definitely still in touch with the aluminum host, the spacers were placed between the lens "cap" and the module in order to push it into place along the center axis (along the length of the module). I will take some pictures tonight to explain the exact condition.

Last edited: