Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Which laser should I use?

The_Laser_Man

I need to use a laser for a project. For this, I need to pop balloons of different colors about 10 meters away. I thought of using a laser for this. I will try to control the laser with Arduino-like cards. How many watts of laser power do you think would be required for the balloons to burst? Is there a laser you can recommend?

This question was asked recently here. Are you using another account to ask the same question now?

Hello, I just saw the question asked after looking around a bit. We're probably in the same contest. But we wondered at different times. Sorry for asking again without doing much research.

To pop balloons you could likely use a projectile that would work better than a laser.

To pop balloons you could likely use a projectile that would work better than a laser.
I thought about using bullets at first, but there are a lot of parameters involved. Free fall, friction force, weight of the bullet, shape of the bullet, rate of fire, etc. I thought these parameters would make it very difficult to hit the target. A laser might be easier for that.

Power 5.5W
Wavelength: 450nm
Current 3A - 5A
Operating Voltage: 12V

I'm thinking about a laser with the following specifications. I'll order it now and start testing it after I've installed it.

Any laser over 5mw can damage a persons eyesight forever, so I hope you are taking all appropriate safety precautions.

p.s. You can watch balloon popping records on youtube, the single mode 405nm and dpss 532nm lasers do well...... but again you must take all appropriate safety precautions.

sen, tek m

Any laser over 5mw can damage a persons eyesight forever, so I hope you are taking all appropriate safety precautions.

p.s. You can watch balloon popping records on youtube, the single mode 405nm and dpss 532nm lasers do well...... but again you must take all appropriate safety precautions.
You can be sure that we will take all our security measures. That's one of the conditions of the contest. Thank you for your help. I think I'll go with a high wattage laser for as fast a blast as possible.

You can be sure that we will take all our security measures. That's one of the conditions of the contest. Thank you for your help. I think I'll go with a high wattage laser for as fast a blast as possible.
sling wont do the job if "I'll go with a high wattage laser for as fast a blast as possible "
need 1 of these

fast&blast.JPG

Back