Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Which Laser Power Meter should I get, used or new?

rajhlinux

Hello,

I need a laser power meter so that I can measure the laser's optical power characteristics.
Something which can read from low as 30 milliwatts (mW) to high as 10 Watts (W).

Would like some recommendations on various branded used ones or maybe some new Chinese ones.
Not sure which ones or models I should look out for.

Thanks for any info.

I can't say much about the 20% tax charge but the shipping rate is from a Canada and decently insured.
Jerry from Laserbee has always got back to me so customer service was very good, its been a while since I messaged with him so I don't know now.
He will always recalibrate your units for free, "I don't know enough to see if they need for recalibration alot" but yes you need to pay for shipping.
Unless you go very high tech I don't think there are many or any other LPM's available. I think the Astralist meter are out of stock?

You might pay a little more for a Laserbee shipping but they are are great units and you are covered in the long run.

Edit: I missed your recomended sellers at the bottom, have to look at it..

Last edited:
LaserBee makes great LPMs for the money and Jerry responds fairly quickly. If you can wait until Black Friday he usually has a big sale on everything.
Exactly.
J. Bauer/Laserbee/Jerry is a long establish stable mature business offering excellent products of own design and manufacture at excellent prices. Jerry provides outstanding customer service as well.
See:
https://www.laserbeelpm.com/

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Laserbee products, the CEO resides in Quebec, Canada and charges 20% tax, when the provincial + federal tax combined in Quebec, Canada is only 15%. I confronted him about this and he banned me from purchasing his products. He charges insane shipping prices to USA. On top of all that, small businesses which make less than $30k a month should not even charge taxes

I'm sure his LPMs are quality though. Credit where credit is due
Pocket LPMs are only good if you don't care being ~10% off of the true power reading

I recommend used Gentec EO units on eBay, @Darktron can help you out if you want :) Hes a eBay ninja
You are Absolutely wrong... ALL CANADIAN REGISTERED BUSINESSES
must charge PST and GST. These taxes are passed on to their respective
Governments.

We Charge 5% GST on products sold in Canada outside of Quebec.
We Charge 14.975 % GST and PST in Quebec.

Please show us the Communications with us where I banned you.

BTW.... we see JLASERS is working on an LPM but not out yet... Hmmm 🤔

Jerry

[EDIT] Thanks guys for stepping in while I was away. Got pointed
here this morning.

Last edited:
You are Absolutely wrong... ALL CANADIAN REGISTERED BUSINESSES
must charge PST and GST. These taxes are passed on to their respective
Governments.

We Charge 5% GST on products sold in Canada outside of Quebec.
We Charge 14.995 % GST and PST in Quebec.

Please show us the Communications with us where I banned you.

BTW.... we see JLASERS is working on an LPM but not out yet... Hmmm 🤔

Jerry

[EDIT] Thanks guys for stepping in while I was away. Got pointed
here this morning.
Also it's great to open a laser store Loreadarhshade but you really should wait till 80% of your products are in house and not "Coming Soon"
It will just send potential buyers somewhere else.
This is a addicting hobby and not many want to wait for their lasers and parts..

I guess your definition of "ALL CANADIAN REGISTERED BUSINESSES" needs to be revised :)
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag.../gst-hst-businesses/when-register-charge.html
View attachment 77991

I also reside in Quebec Canada. After clicking on your "canadian buyers" link, it leads me to this page, where you either charge 19.25% tax on your entry level LPM, or 16.68% tax on your higher end model.
View attachment 77994View attachment 77996

On top of all that, shipping from Quebec, Saint-Telesphor to my address in Quebec, here are some shipping quotes:
(Keep in mind these Canada Post shipping quotes are in CAD, when laserbee charges $40 USD which is about $55 CAD)
View attachment 77992

Not trying to be a douche, just giving out an honest review! Like I said, you make good stuff and know your electronics, credit where credit is due.. no need to try and criticize my website

But what you're doing here is dishonest, how could we trust your products if we can't trust you?
1) What makes you think we are not making $30,000 per quarter...?
2) We are a Canadian Registered Business.... Are You ?
3) Your Tax calculations are Flawed.. For example...
$ 139.99 USD LaserBee AX
$ 39.99 USD Shipping Handling Packaging Insurance
$ 178.98 USD Total
---------------
$ 9.00 USD 5% GST
$ 17.95 USD 9.975% PST
---------------
$ $26.95 Total Taxes on Above Total

$206.93 Total Sale costs

There is more to shipping other than paying Canada Post rates.
We insure the Total Value with Canada Post at an extra cost.
We use Prime New Shipping Boxes and New Foam Peanuts
to protect our product during shipping and New 2" wide
Packing Tape making sure we ship within 24 hours of payment.
We sell a Professional LPM Product and it looks like it when
our customers receive their order.

Taxes are only charged in Canada and Only the 5% GST outside
of Quebec, No taxes are charged outside of Canada,

3) Still haven't seen the Communications of me banning you
from buying our Products.

As to the finished products you are selling... perhaps this
Thread will be interesting to you.... Hmmmm 🤔
https://laserpointerforums.com/thre...s-official-info-release-from-laserglow.73129/

Jerry

Last edited:
1) What makes you think we are not making $30,000 per quarter...?
2) We are a Canadian Registered Business.... Are You ?
3) Your Tax calculations are Flawed.. For example...
$ 139.99 USD LaserBee AX
$ 39.99 USD Shipping Handling Packaging Insurance
$ 178.98 USD Total
---------------
$ 9.00 USD 5% GST
$ 17.95 USD 9.975% PST
---------------
$ $26.95 Total Taxes on Above Total

$206.93 Total

There is more to shipping other than paying Canada Post.
We use Prime New Shipping Boxes and Foam Peanuts and
2" wide Packing Tape making sure we ship within 24 hours
of payment.
We sell a Professional LPM Product and it looks like it when
our customers receive their order.

Taxes are only charged in Canada and Only the 5% GST outside
of Quebec, No taxes are charged outside of Canada,

3) Still haven't seen the Communications of me banning you
from buying our Products.

As to the finished products you are selling... perhaps this
Thread will be interesting to you.... Hmmmm 🤔
https://laserpointerforums.com/thre...s-official-info-release-from-laserglow.73129/

Jerry
Ah, my bad. I didn't take into account the shipping in the calculation of taxes.
My apologies.
I will take down my original post to prevent future customers from seeing my negative review! :)

I will not be replying to your other nonsense though I'm not here for drama
Don't know why you feel the need to go after people when they criticize you. That's bad character

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
Ah, my bad. I didn't take into account the shipping in the calculation of taxes.
My apologies.
I will take down my original post to prevent future customers from seeing my negative review! :)

I will not be replying to your other nonsense though I'm not here for drama
Don't know why you feel the need to go after people when they criticize you. That's bad character
No need to take down any Posts.
Apology accepted.... I think...

Nonsense ????

I don't see the need to criticise my company or products. You
have never made an order for one.
I can understand if you don't want to spend $$ on our LPM
products... That's fine with me. It is your choice.

Still haven't seen any Communications proof of us Banning
you from buying our LPM products...

Sure hope you read the Thread I linked to.....

Jerry

Hello,

I need a laser power meter so that I can measure the laser's optical power characteristics.
Something which can read from low as 30 milliwatts (mW) to high as 10 Watts (W).

Would like some recommendations on various branded used ones or maybe some new Chinese ones.
Not sure which ones or models I should look out for.

Thanks for any info.
I have a JLasers LS4 4W LPM in stock, $130 USD + shipping
Send me a PM if you're interested
_MG_9947.jpg_MG_9983.jpg

Interesting thread link posted by LaserBee. Thanks for posting the link.

According to Justin at Laserglow all sales of pointers over 5mW by a Canadian business to a customer in Canada is in violation of Canada rules , regulations, and Laws.
Justin explains:
"it is illegal to sell or provide high-powered portable lasers (Class 3B and Class 4) to consumers in Canada. That means you."
"whether you agree with them or not, Health Canada has classified all portable Class 3B and 4 lasers as "a danger to human health or safety", as defined by the CCPSA. There is no debate to be made about this, it's done and there's little chance of getting them to change their minds."
" If you attempt to sell or make available a portable laser which is Class 3B or higher, Health Canada has an incredible array of powers to utilize against you, including product seizure, mandatory recall, huge fines, etc. Note, it doesn't need to be a sale. Giving one of these to your brother for free would be considered a violation."

There is also the issue of how circumventing Customs rules and Country laws is being accomplished when exporting to places that prohibit imports of over 5mW as in USA and over 1mW in EU.

There are already several Canadian sellers on the US FDA "red list" subjecting all shipments from those sellers to "Detention Without Physical Examination Of Laser Pointers, Laser Gunsights, Laser Levels, Laser Light Shows, Laser Pointer Key Chains, & Similar Products That Fail To Comply With Applicable Performance Standards And Reporting Requirements." "*** Divisions may detain without physical examination (DWPE) shipments of the specified laser products such as laser pointers, laser gunsights, laser levels, laser pointer key chains, laser light show projectors from the firms identified on the Red List of this alert. ***" From:
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_254.html

So... Risky business at best, prohibited/illegal pointers. Always having to look over your shoulder and being subject to fines and/or being shut down at any time.
Parts business looks OK and exempt from finished laser pointer product rules, regulations, and Law considerations.

Last edited:
Interesting thread link posted by LaserBee. Thanks for posting the link.

According to Justin at Laserglow all sales of pointers over 5mW by a Canadian business to a customer in Canada is in violation of Canada rules , regulations, and Laws.
Justin explains:
"it is illegal to sell or provide high-powered portable lasers (Class 3B and Class 4) to consumers in Canada. That means you."
"whether you agree with them or not, Health Canada has classified all portable Class 3B and 4 lasers as "a danger to human health or safety", as defined by the CCPSA. There is no debate to be made about this, it's done and there's little chance of getting them to change their minds."
" If you attempt to sell or make available a portable laser which is Class 3B or higher, Health Canada has an incredible array of powers to utilize against you, including product seizure, mandatory recall, huge fines, etc. Note, it doesn't need to be a sale. Giving one of these to your brother for free would be considered a violation."

There is also the issue of how circumventing Customs rules and Country laws if being accomplished when exporting to places that prohibit imports of over 5mW as in USA and over 1mW in EU.

There are already several Canadian sellers on the US FDA "red list" subjecting all shipments from those sellers to "Detention Without Physical Examination Of Laser Pointers, Laser Gunsights, Laser Levels, Laser Light Shows, Laser Pointer Key Chains, & Similar Products That Fail To Comply With Applicable Performance Standards And Reporting Requirements." "*** Divisions may detain without physical examination (DWPE) shipments of the specified laser products such as laser pointers, laser gunsights, laser levels, laser pointer key chains, laser light show projectors from the firms identified on the Red List of this alert. ***" From:

So... Risky business at best prohibited/illegal pointers.
Parts business looks OK and exempt from finished product rules, regulations, and Laws considerations.
Yes, it is certainly interesting. By now knowing this is not LPF aiding and abetting criminal actions by allowing the sale of laser pointers by Canadians?

Yes, it is certainly interesting. By now knowing this is not LPF aiding and abetting criminal actions by allowing the sale of laser pointers by Canadians?
No.
LPF does not sell any items nor is LPF an operator in any transactions. LPF is not responsible for anything of any kind offered or sold by any LPF member in any Country. All sales and transactions concerning items offered by members on LPF are private and between the seller and buyer + under jurisdiction of the rules, regulations, and laws of their respective Countries and it's "Authorities".

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply everyone.

I was hoping to buy a used lab grade off of eBay.
I saw many of them but not sure which one to get.
I'm sure there is a lab brand which is highly regarded to buy used, after all it is a lab instrument used for measuring laser power.

Example such as the below, what are thoughts on buying it, seems like a great deal:
COHERENT FIELDMAX II LASER POWER METER with Sensor - $500 - eBay

Last edited:

Back