Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

which is better at burning? Red vs. Blu-Ray

that's what my school science fair project was on this year and the results are in = D

I don't know if this seems legit or not but I've tested two lasers "both blu-ray and red" and got them down the around the same power. Then i popped some balloons at specified distances and the test results show that blu-ray wins. The reason I'm guessing this is because blu-ray's wavelength is close to ultraviolet which is known for causing sun burns in the first place.

And yes, all lasers were focused down to a .5cm dot and all balloons were inflated to the same psi. Along with both had a fresh pair of batteries.

i attached my results and am soon creating a graph of it  :cool:

Attachments

• untitled_039.JPG
    untitled_039.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 204

bobobob121 said:
that's what my school science fair project was on this year and the results are in = D

You didn't get a D did you? or is that a smiley face? Lol!

It depends on the light absorption of the material to a specific wavelength. Typically, yes, most of us have found that Blu-ray lasers are better for burning. Good work! :D

-Tony

jayrob

Set at the same power?

The thing is, we can set the long open can reds at a much higher output. I'm sure the red builds will get the edge with more power! :)
Jay

crocie

aha, i see what your getting at.
the 'blu's' have more potential to burn.
did you explain why the lower wavelength burns better in your report? (i never did explainations, thats why i'm a C student ;D)

lazer

Im doing the same science experiment ;D I found the blu ray burns much better too. Why does it burn better though? Is ultra violet light absorbed by things more redially than high wavelenghths like red light? This seems to be the case as blu-ray lasers burn black and white things better than a red laser. ;D

Blu-ray diodes have a higher energy wavelength than red but I don't think that has a very big effect in terms of heating surfaces with light. 405nm and 650nm are very close compared between gamma rays and radio waves. It is more likely that household things you may want to burn are more sensitive to UV light.

My girlfriend thinks my blu-ray lasers will give her skin cancer. :p

-Tony

Switch

My girlfriend thinks my blu-ray lasers will give her skin cancer.

You should listen to her more often ::)

Anyway, I don't think the energy/photon makes absolutely any difference between wavelengths whatsoever. :-/

lazer

The energy of the photon is what makes the specific waveleghnt

Switch said:
Anyway, I don't think the energy/photon makes absolutely any difference between wavelengths whatsoever. :-/

No, that's just it. Imagine two stationary photons vibrating up and down in place and one is vibrating faster (has a higher energy level) than the other. Now imagine both of them are traveling at the speed of light. If you map out their movement you can see how it generates a sinusoidal wave. Since one is oscillating faster than the other the distance between the crests of the wave will be shorter. Shorter wavelengths mean the photon is vibrating faster hence higher energy.

-Tony