Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Which beginner laser would you recommend?

New special Burning 250mW red laser torch/focusable [OL-RT-250] - $25.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Super Powerful Cute 250mW Red laser torch/Good burning [OL-CR-250] - $22.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

So i am very new to lasers and their potentials and was looking for something cheap to begin my fascination. If i want something that will burn very well and also shine reasonably far would either of these be sufficient. I'm trying not to break the bank as these are both below $30. Thanks!

I'd start with a green one. They have a 100w for $50. It is waaaay more fun then red for a starter in my opinion. The green beam at night is amazing even at 100w.

Green will be visible much further, so easier to see and break the law with - also IR output can be dangerous with a green and you can't see it
But you will realize how powerful they are much quicker with a green because they look brighter.

Red will probably be more stable (not a DPSS) and slightly less susceptible to breakage (jarring a crystal loose), no issue with IR.
Red will probably be cheaper for the same power level, because it's a straight diode with driver and optics and battery. Less parts.

First hi-power laser I bought was a red, $200 and about 200mw. That was almost 10 years ago. :) - so my suggestion would be a red.

You really should have a set of googles for either, without them you will have some loss of vision. Longer you go, the worse it will get. You may not notice at first, but it will start to go.

I'd start with a green one. They have a 100w for $50. It is waaaay more fun then red for a starter in my opinion. The green beam at night is amazing even at 100w.

I'd recommend the same thing.

Greenies are way more fun than reddies, especially as a first laser.