Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WHICH BATTERIES???

Windstrings,

yeah, good point.  I think the battery dilemma is overrated anyways.  The best bet i think is to go with a high capacity rechargable nimh and let it go at that.  I just dont think alks have the full output for as long of a time as the rechargable nimh.  

I am going to do a comparison test / run time analysis of Alk AAA's vs. nimh AAA's when I get my lasers and I will post the results.

Neo

neocacher said:
Windstrings,

yeah, good point.  I think the battery dilemma is overrated anyways.  The best bet i think is to go with a high capacity rechargable nimh and let it go at that.  I just dont think alks have the full output for as long of a time as the rechargable nimh.  

I am going to do a comparison test / run time analysis of Alk AAA's vs. nimh AAA's when I get my lasers and I will post the results.

Neo

I can already tell you, they don't... its the voltage "Under load while the laser is on" is all that really matters.. alkies are ok when they are brand new, but 10% into thier life.... look out.. and forget the rechargable Alks... they have all sorts of other issues and really shouldn't even be called rechargables.... maybe 10 at best recharges, and the capacity drops with every cycle... bah!

Timelord: I see where you have posted that lithium bateries will kill a pulsar laser pointer. Well I am going to be ordering my 125mW viper dragon laser soon and I wanted to know, is this considered a pulsar? If so (or not) what are the best RECHARGEABLE batteries that you can recommend that I can use for my 125mW viper????

its not a pulsar and you can use NIMH 1000mah duracells or any brand you like... even lithiums.. but it safer for the long run to stick with NIMH.

Although the load voltage of lithiums is fine, the resting voltage is alittle risky, but usually poeple get away with it just fine.

I perfer having rechargables anyway and the load voltage of the two are very close.

The Red ones are the ones you don't want lithiums in.. they all can take NiMh.

What about the mAh. I know the dragon laser website says that anything over 900mAh is good but is there a number that is too high? dangerous??

MAH has no bearing on danger at all....

if you had a dam that was 10 feet high.. that given amount of pressure would be your voltage... the " amount" of water behind that dam is your mah.

Its the amount of actual "capacity" or "amount" of current the battery has.. so the higher the better.

lower mah numbers only mean your battery will go dead that much quicker as it has less energy for the long haul.

lazerlover said:
[quote author=bobblaine link=1170276529/15#23 date=1180994898]Lithiums are so expensive!But they are so light.

you might want to consider some Alkaline rechargables I hear they work well.[/quote]

Sorry to be so negative.. Alkaline rechargables almost don't qualify as rechargables... you maybe get 10 recharges out of them and each time they loose capacity until its not worth bothering..... they won't hold voltage under load except when you first use them... they soon give up the ghost.

I could see using them in toys as they are slightly better than regular alkalines for your moneys worth, but for lasers... nah!... they are not consistent enough.

http://www.austech.info/showthread.php?t=61513

I did find some new technology that I have never tried, so I don't know how good they are.. but they appear to be more promising... but so did alk rechargables when they came out too!.. http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/28456/135/

If you want to play with alk rechargables.. I would try the new technology.

Hello,
I'm looking for 2 ---- 12 volts 1.2 Amp batteries ( smallest as possible) for my laser alarm project.
Any idea where to get them ??

Attachments

• alien_smily_angry_face_clr_001.gif
    alien_smily_angry_face_clr_001.gif
    29.1 KB · Views: 77
ummm i dont know of alot of stores that sell them but ebay and amazon.com so i hope ya find what u are looking for!!

SenKat said:
I use Energizer NiMh 900mah AAA batts in most of mine - alkaline C size in my Aries....I have never tried Lithiums in my lasers, as I have heard that can kill them ? Can anyone tell me if this is true, and if os, for which brands ?

Well since I am a noob here I'll start by saying hello all!
I have wondered that too SenKat. When I bought some Energizer lithiums I read the back of the package and they state that they will repair or replace any device damaged by their batteries, at their discretion. Has anyone ever tried to send a high powered laser to Energizer for repair or replacement? I think they would 'have a cow' when they found out it costs hundreds of dollars to replace! Has anyone else read this on the back of the Energizer E2 lithiums?

Wow!... I don't really feel at risk for using Lithiums "although I'm cheap so I don't and like to have mine topped off at all times by using NiMh instead", but as long as you don't try and charge "non-rechargeable lithiums", they should be no more risk using than regular alkalines as far as leakage goes.

Although we're at risk for leakage and total damage no matter what batteries we put in, it is nice that energizer gives a warranty.

And who knows, if you had all the paperwork "proving" the cost on the unit, they would probably pay as they merely submit it to thier insurance company.

After all, lasers are big bucks, but many other things are too that use batteries like surveyor equipment, expensive meters etc.

Current and voltage supply is not really an issue on a decently made driver board. What should be considered (IF your driver can cope with the almost double current of lithiums) is that lithiums are much lighter (Lithium is a light element) and will last much longer. The best thing to do is to use a well made driver circuit and use lithiums. Energizer says their lithiums are great for high powered devices.
What would be really great is to get some titanium-lithium combos, but at $15 for a single AA they are a bit hard on the wallet, as well as rare.
Lithium-polymer cells would be nice too, but finding them in a useable package would be nice. Anyone let me know if you find some as AA or something.