Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Which 445nm is truely worth it.

Ok, here goes. So we all know about the fantastical Arctic series (which i dont think anyone really has yet, but i could be wrong) and DL's Spartan series. Other than aesthetics (because the Arctic looks like a light saber and wins that) what are the winning points between each one. the arctic comes with lasershades and the whole smartswitch thing and i dont know too much about the spartan. but i wanna hear from people who either have or have used each of these and tell me, which 445 is truely worth it.

daguin

Ok, here goes. So we all know about the fantastical Arctic series (which i dont think anyone really has yet, but i could be wrong) and DL's Spartan series. Other than aesthetics (because the Arctic looks like a light saber and wins that) what are the winning points between each one. the arctic comes with lasershades and the whole smartswitch thing and i dont know too much about the spartan. but i wanna here from people who either have or have used each of these and tell me, which 445 is truely worth it.

No one has these "in hand" yet. Your question is premature

If you want one that is truly worth it, build your own.

It's not rocket science, folks

Peace,
dave

oic0

No one other than workers in China have ever touched either one so you aren't going to have much luck finding an answer. The spartan is a safer bet for quality and shipping time but as you said its not very attractive. Its impossible to compare their specs since the ones of the arctic are completely unrealistic. Its all guesses now.

bhank

Build one bud. I'm waiting for parts for my first 445 build, all said and done I'm spending about $160-$170. Either way it's not too bad and you can set the current higher than either "store bought" model and have a more powerful blue while spending less. Besides building one gives you that feeling of accomplishment that buying one just can't give you. Even better, when someone goes "whoa that's awesome where did you get that?" you can simply say "I built it" haha.

daguin

Build one bud. I'm waiting for parts for my first 445 build, all said and done I'm spending about $160-$170. Either way it's not too bad and you can set the current higher than either "store bought" model and have a more powerful blue while spending less. Besides building one gives you that feeling of accomplishment that buying one just can't give you. Even better, when someone goes "whoa that's awesome where did you get that?" you can simply say "I built it" haha.

And it will be focusable too :)

Peace,
dave

oic0

Mine ended up costing 212 for all the parts plus battery. I went the copper route though and got focusing ring.

bhank

And you won't have Mr. Lucas on your back about owning what he thinks looks like a light saber :na:

bhank

Good point oic0, I forgot to mention I already have the batteries for flashlights and I didn't get the focusing ring. But still you'll spend less than if you were to buy a spyder now considering the price jump lol

plexus

No one other than workers in China have ever touched either one so you aren't going to have much luck finding an answer. The spartan is a safer bet for quality and shipping time but as you said its not very attractive. Its impossible to compare their specs since the ones of the arctic are completely unrealistic. Its all guesses now.

From some of the posts in the WL facebook page from people that have inquired about the Dragon 445, they were told "low quantities on hand" etc. so it might be the same story.

From some of the posts in the WL facebook page from people that have inquired about the Dragon 445, they were told "low quantities on hand" etc. so it might be the same story.

not at all. they're saying low quantities, so people wont get annnoyed when they cant ship them all instantly. big difference is the honesty lol.

im not to much of a visual learner, so learning how to build from this site can only take me so far. i would end up messing up and absolutely waste 160-170 dollars. but i would absolutely love to build a laser with all the features i want for cheaper than a retail 1w. and honestly i kinda like the look of the spartan, it looks a little more professional than the arctic (which actually kinda looks like a toy, but still looks totally amazing). plus if you buy DL you can say you own a literal spartan laser.

Last edited:
im personally going for the 400mW 447 from dragonlasers tomorrow...has anyone actually ordered one yet??

soon i will hopefully be having some money (trying to sell some turntables on ebay) but i was wondering if some was selling custom builds or somewhat used torches. please feel free to PM me if you want to sell or can build a 500-750mw 445nm that runs off 18650s and has a tail clicky switch and preferably in North America for around 200-250 dollars. please dont take this me saying that i will positively buy, but id like to have the option open.

im not to much of a visual learner, so learning how to build from this site can only take me so far. i would end up messing up and absolutely waste 160-170 dollars. but i would absolutely love to build a laser with all the features i want for cheaper than a retail 1w. and honestly i kinda like the look of the spartan, it looks a little more professional than the arctic (which actually kinda looks like a toy, but still looks totally amazing). plus if you buy DL you can say you own a literal spartan laser.

practice with cheap diodes. now days phr's are super cheap and there is or was a group buy for lpc815 too. either way, much cheaper now days still. you want to talk about wasting money? try destroying the pins of a $150 of an 8x. my eagerness to have a powreful burning laser got the best of me. now my soldering is superior to what it was so i got no problems. it takes less than a min to solder my diode :p

it takes practice and proper soldering techniques. the BIGGEST factor people forget about build your own is this. compare the prices and you will think... hey a build it your own isn't much cheaper (including good optics and heat sink). here's the hugest factor. when your diode craps out for w/e reason, just smack it out the aixiz and replace it with a new diode, bam your done "fixing" your laser. compare that to shipping it and all that hassel and warranties. yeah not EVEN close. so building your own is FAR better. trust me.