Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where to buy a handheld laser in Europe?

atwola

Hi,
I am willing to buy a handheld 532nm laser with an approx. constant output power of 100mW.

An Optotronics PPL-100 would be the coice, but then I have to wait until I visit the US (not planned for the next years) and smuggle it out ;-)

As I am located in Germany I would like to buy one in Europe (includes the UK), as that would save customs (23% of the price) . It lowers the risk of confiscation, too.
These higher powered lasers are not forbidden here, but it seems as if you have to make a proper certificate to use them, which I don't have and a copy of it should be attached to the invoice.
Last point would be the warranty, which seems to be quite important if I look at the failure rates reported by some people ;D

My question is, do you know a company who sells or produces high-quality handheld lasers in (preferrably continental) Europe?

Using search engines I could not find many sellers, spymodex, their products do not seem to have the best reputation (or do they have any recommendable line of products?) and laserworld.at, which is horribly expensive :-(

Regards
atwola

Freyth

I don't know of any reputable laser companies located in Europe. The best ones (handheld, that is) seem to originate from the West.

Since you're talking about the UK, how about have someone from the UK (which I'm sure lots of the members are from), act as a middleman and send you the laser?

The failure rates fortunately, according to Jack from Optotronics, is less than 0.5%. So you probably don't need to worry about having a failed laser.

Rhith

Most of the failed lasers seem to come from Wicked Lasers or Deal Extreme. But neither company properly tests their lasers before sending them. Optotronics tests each laser fully before shipping it out and they have very very reliable lasers. But a lot of companies will ship to Germany I'm sure but 23% for customs seems a bit much! And if you're looking at the PPL, why don't you take the next step and try for the ever loved RPL? ;D

atwola

I don't know of any reputable laser companies located in Europe. The best ones (handheld, that is) seem to originate from the West.

Yes, industrial modules are no problem, but handhelds...

Since you're talking about the UK, how about have someone from the UK (which I'm sure lots of the members are from), act as a middleman and send you the laser?

This may be an option, but is complex. The problems would be moved from em to this person, but perhaps someone from the UK can say something to their import procedures and his/her experience.

But a lot of companies will ship to Germany I'm sure but 23% for customs seems a bit much!

Well, I am _sure_ a company will ship to Germany, but (in theory) it has to give a TARIC-code along the product (which is a classification of the good, e.g. it's coffee, a DVD or a laser) and all lasers >5mW are dual-use products with special checking of the receiver (never heard of the evil "laser-terrorists of doom"?) ::)
The only way to avoid this would be a false label, which ist criminal (or a mistake ::)) and so I don't know if the companies would do that.

But propably I'm worrying to much about this, laserglow states they never had a problem shipping their stuff worldwide.

The 23% customs are 4% "real" customs and 19% VAT. Don't know if it's possible in the U.S. to substract the local VAT from the price of export products.

And if you're looking at the PPL, why don't you take the next step and try for the ever loved RPL?

I hope this is not a real question :)
Because it is $260 more expensive, weights more, cannot be used with standard batteries and has to much power for my use.

I rather meant the quality level of Optotronics. They state the used laser-diode and test each laser, which is imho very good.
The two other company which have impressed me are Laserglow and Novalasers.

Laserglow seems to redistributre CNI lasers, Novalasers doesn't state it's diodes manufacturer.
Does anyone know which they use?

ATM I think I will try to import it by myself and not bother any friendly victim from the UK :)

The question is if I try a Novalaser or an Optotronic, but that is Off-Topic in this section.

Regards
atwola

Rhith

Nova Lasers is also a distributor of CNI. Laser Glow is the *official* distributor though.
And many companies even shipping into the us where the taxation and VAT doesn't come into play falsely labels their products.
I've seen Laser Sport Elite Goggles from Wicked Lasers come as "sunglasses" and had me ship them back as "Faulty Ballpoint Pen" or something to that nature. It happens a lot, nearly everything from DX is an LED light too. I just find how the RPL uses rechargeable batteries and comes with a charger is a nice addition. But to each their own.

atwola

After I have seen how cheap the replacementy batteries are, this may be rather a feature than a bug.
Often the replacement LiIons are very expensive spare parts, so I usually don't like it.

xgeek

Yikes I just got hit with a $100 bill from TNT for duty and VAT on my new Nova Alpha 105. Not paid it yet but I am sure I will have to.

Laq

Ouch :eek:

What what the mentioned value on the shipping document? the actual price, or lower than 35 $?
Those are not the kind of surprizes you want receive upon delivery :-/

atwola

Yikes I just got hit with a $100 bill from TNT for duty and VAT on my new Nova Alpha 105.
They ship from Canada, where do you live?
Did Novalasers substract the Canadian VAT from the price or did you have to pay the price available at novalasers.com + your local VAT and customs?

TIA
atwola

xgeek

I paid $274.55 for the Alpha (that is with the 5% warp5 code) + $40 TNT shipping. I had the laser for about a week then I got a letter from TNT asking for another $100 to cover duty and VAT. The cost Nova put on the shipping docs was $289 the full price.

BTW I am in the UK

xgeek said:
I paid $274.55 for the Alpha (that is with the 5% warp5 code) + $40 TNT shipping. I had the laser for about a week then I got a letter from TNT asking for another $100 to cover duty and VAT. The cost Nova put on the shipping docs was $289 the full price.

BTW I am in the UK

oh no Xgeek  :'( :'( :'(

That makes me a little afraid. Ik want to buy an Alpha 105 aswell and i am in the netherlands. Did NOVA put something on the package suchs as "LED FLASHLIGHT"and did they lower the value of the package, because 100$ is just f*cked-up :mad:
Makes me angry! :mad:
I'm sorry man  :'( Is your wallet okay?? ;)
have you paid TNT already??

atwola

Taxes are usually 4% on lasers-products in the EU, VAT is 17,5% in the UK AFAIR.

If he has to pay $100 the customs have used a value of ~ $500 for the product, including shipping.

Either they had to estimate the value of the product (they are allowed to do that if they suspect the given value is wrong) and estimated it far too high or this bill is foul.

I would ask TNT if everything is correct and why it are $100, as all fees and taxes usually have to be paid on delivery and not one week later.

In another thread many people said they were from the Netherlands, perhaps someone is willing to tell his experience with imports.

I ordered an X85 from Nova + lens set and 2 pairs of goggles. + $40 for shipping minus 7,5% discount which was $291 total.

Two weeks later Í received this letter from TNT to pay VAT and import Tax which was $90 (64 euros) :mad: :mad:

atwola

So the delay between delivery and bill seems to be normal.

But I am very confused by the amount of VAT and tax. This is too high, or do you ave 26% VAT in the Netherlands :eek:

AFAIK it is only 19%, but perhaps a fee for handling your package at the customs. Who knows... Bad enough.

VAT in the Netherlands is 19% (+4% Tax I suppose)
Handling should be included in the shipping costs.

So it should be 23% (but thats still quite a lot imho)

xgeek

Knasterpijp said:
[quote author=xgeek link=1191066142/0#9 date=1191140731]I paid $274.55 for the Alpha (that is with the 5% warp5 code) + $40 TNT shipping. I had the laser for about a week then I got a letter from TNT asking for another $100 to cover duty and VAT. The cost Nova put on the shipping docs was $289 the full price.

BTW I am in the UK

oh no Xgeek  :'( :'( :'(

That makes me a little afraid. Ik want to buy an Alpha 105 aswell and i am in the netherlands. Did NOVA put something on the package suchs as "LED FLASHLIGHT"and did they lower the value of the package, because 100$ is just f*cked-up :mad:
Makes me angry! :mad:
I'm sorry man  :'( Is your wallet okay?? ;)
have you paid TNT already??[/quote]

No I have not paid yet ;)

Nova put the full pre discounted price the the paper work and said that it was a laser. Oh well I will question TNT when the send me a reminder.

XG