Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where do I start? Looking for a programmable show...

So would it be a good idea to go with a reke500 and hak's pangolin software and does he also do the pangolin DAC?

Sorry to be so dense, but this is all very new to me and I'm trying to make sure I get a decent system on a reasonable budget.

From all the stuff I have read and some of the videos I've seen (REKE vs RUBY for example) the REKE seems like a really solid starter scanner. I haven't seen anything that is a notch better for a small increment in price increase - or at least if there is something out there I haven't seen it yet. Please let me know if I am missing something there.

Again, thank you for all the pointers. I don't 100% understand all this yet, but I feel like that I am narrowing down my choices with good guidance and even if I don't know everything yet, I will have the right components to make a nice show when I do understand it fully.

Honestly, I see how faster scanners are way better and analogue is great for unlimited color, but the REKE500 videos I have seen have been VERY IMPRESSIVE. At least to me, and I suspect most people I would be dealing with would be impressed too.

I have a very neat setup in my home that will work great for this too. My great room is two stories tall. The seating faces a fireplace with built-in shelves on each side. On the back wall, there is just a big flat wall going up to the second floor ceiling.

You may be able to tell more from this video - sorry about me being shirtless.

I just watched it, you can't see the back wall. But imagine the projector being on the right side of the fireplace, at the top of the built-ins aiming towards the camera. (So for example, if you were watching the tv, you would be looking towards the projector - except it would be VERY HIGH) and it would be hitting the wall behind the seating - up high. There is a flat drywall wall that has nothing on it behind my wife (who is shooting the video) that I could aim at, and there is no way anyone could be hit in the eye with the beam, but there would be a nice large flat expanse for the lasers to land on.

Anyway, I could mount the projector on the top of the built-ins and aim it at the second story wall and it would be very safe. It would be very high, with no way for anyone to get between the beam and the wall - so no eye exposure at all. It would make for a neat gimmick when I have a party!

vk2fro

Yes the quick show is a package. It comes with the software (which is really what you are buying) and the Flashback3, which is pangolins entry level dac (and by entry level, certainly capable little machine!).

All you need besides the Reke and the Quickshow kit, is an ILDA cable, which can be bought as a straight through 25pin modem cable. (dont use a laplink or "null modem" cable). I have 2 five meter ones and that allows me to use one if I only need a short run to my (currently nonexistant) projector, or 2 joined in the middle for a longer 10 meter run. One end connects to the REKE's ilda in port, and the other end attaches to the pangolin box. The box is then connected to the laptop via a usb cable (usb printer lead A-B).

Last edited:
So I wouldn't likely need a better DAC than the Flashback 3?

So I get the REKE500 assuming it goes on sale as is being discussed in another thread. I get Hak to get me the Pangolin package and maybe he does cables or I get them wherever.

Then it is a matter of downloading some shows and learning how to make it do a logo, etc...

Is it easy to upgrade the lasers on the REKE later? Or is that even worth bothering with. I know I'm getting the cart way before the horse, but after building pointers, the first thing that comes to mind is turning up the power! :D

I'm getting kind of excited about this!

Last edited:

vk2fro

I cannot help with upgrading the lasers in the REKE, as I dont own one, but yes get the REKE, the quickshow set from hak, and the cable from a computer shop or similar (dont spend a fortune at a laser shop).

Thanks everyone! I'll report back once I have pulled the trigger - first step is to see if the REKE goes on sale next week as seems to be suggested in another thread here. If that happens, then I suppose that I will take the plunge.