Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Where can I buy cheap Laser Diodes?

I think I've learned enough about Laser Pointer construction to build my own unit. What I'd like to know is where to buy the individual components, like the laser diodes, heat sink cans, driver boards etc. OptoSigma has the lenses I need at a reasonable price, so I think I've got that covered. They'll even manufacture custom lenses on request. I've also purchased a 2 "D" cell Mag Light that I plan to use as a shell. The end of the barrel is threaded, so it should be possible to have the optics housing machined to fit the existing threads.

Snake Creek Lasers has exactly the components I want; but they wanted $2,000.00 for a 200mw 9mm Green Laser Diode. They're totally insane! If DX can sell a 200mw Laser Pointer for $130.00, there must be someone out there who can sell me a 200mw 9mm Laser Diode, for a lot less than $2,000.00 Realistically, I'm hoping to spend no more than $200.00 each for these. I'm not above canibalizing a DX Laser Pointer for the Diodes; but I'd like to do better if I can.

Here's my wish list:

*A source for 200 - 600mw laser diodes.
*Heat Sink Cans.
*Driver Boards that will accept external modulation, up to 30Hz.
*An OTS modulator board, that I can tune anywhere from 0 - 30Hz.
*Rechargeable Batteries and internal Charging Circuity. (I want to be able to recharge the batteries in the unit).
*A company that will machine Custom Designed Optical Enclosures for a reasonable price.

I also don't mind buying used parts as long as they function properly.

Can anybody "Hook-Me-Up?" :-?

Thanks, Hannibal

Switch

Well Snake Creek's invention sure is cool, but it's not a green laser diode.It's still a DPSS module packed into a small can.A 2 D cell mag light sounds huge.So for that kind of size you probably want some power.We normally build red lasers because these only require a diode and a lens which are easily obtainable and easily put together.However, if you want a green laser you will need an IR 808nm diode(a powerfull one too) , a set of crystals (YVO[sub]4[/sub] and KTP) , lenses and an IR filter(not necessary but recommended).
Most of these you could probably find on ebay.
For driving the pump diode(that's the IR diode mentioned before) you could probably use a simple LM317 based current regulator everyone makes here.Charging circuitry you could probably rip out of a charger and adapt it to your housing.
Just be aware that to build your own green laser head is not a walk in the park like a red laser is.The few people who actually worked on alligning the diode with the crystals can tell you it's not an easy task.It's time and nerve consuming fiddling work.As for the heatsink and other parts I guess you would just have to have access to some machining tools and some chunks of aluminum. :-/

EDIT: I just noticed that you want the 0 - 30Hz modulator.Well I have no idea about that.Are you trying to make one of those "dazzlers" ? :-?

No of course not; but they're legal here in California. I just checked with a Staff Analyst @ DOJ.

Laser Tag on the freeway anyone? Just kidding! ;)

Hannibal

You can buy it from Snoc Electronics Co., Ltd. but 200mw is 5.6mm diamter with TO-18 package and 500mw is 9mm diamter. Or you can buy it on ebay.

Tony

You want green or red laser diodes? Red are pretty cheap and I sell them as well as stonetek.

jayrob

sk8er4514 said:
You want green or red laser diodes? Red are pretty cheap and I sell them as well as stonetek.

Hi, I saw this picture of the AixiZ housings that you have for sale on your site. Are all the parts shown in this picture included? The reason I ask this, is because I bought a 10 pack of these from AixiZ, and I didn't receive any of the little finger grip focus rings for the front of the plastic lenses. I am looking for a source that includes the focus rings.
Thanks,
Jay

Attachments

• Image1_001.jpg
    Image1_001.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 122

chido

Yup, he does include the focusing rings, I bought 3 of these a couple of weeks ago.

Yes the focusing ring is included. That's weird that Aixiz didn't include them. They aren't the most reliable source for retailing I've found. I had a glass lens missing in one of my orders and it took about 1 month for another order to be shipped. :/

I'm currently stocked up on these Aixiz modules though, have around 35 in stock. Ship next day :)