Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What's the highest mA you've set your BDR 209?

Hi Shake,
I don't know how you feel about the ESD protocols But i don't ever build with out it. ESD mats and wrist bands grounded for added safety ESD is all around us and in some areas in the home more or less. I built both the 12X and the 16X 405'5 and all the diodes are taken from the sleds i buy. I bought one 405 a long time ago from DTR still have it running and it's been switched from host to host a numerous amount of times. Hey since your Karma is nill with the 405 Try some ESD protection you never know. And throw away the 1W Holy Grail scenario 800 to 900 mW's is fine buddy. Hate to hear your having troubles with this diode.

Rich:)

ESD either destroys the device outright or....greatly shortens it's working life.
Back in the fabulous 80's IBM decided to build circuit boards for electronic typewriters in Mexico.The factory did not observe proper ESD protocol and as a result the number of boards I changed and had in stock was MASSIVE!!!!

Once they got a clue the failure rate plummeted.

The ESD damage threshold on laser diodes is ultra-low.I don't buy diodes.

I buy modules...much safer to work with.DTR is a great source.I got a couple of Nichia 100mw greens from him recently...and one is in an exhemus host.

I can do work at the component level but ESD is such a pita I will pay for it to be done properly on a well equipped bench.
Of course....I also have some good alpha-particle sources which I could use too....but that seems excessive.

Pman

Built a 16x into a laser66 yesterday afternoon with a different driver not released yet that's supposed to be better for this diode. It's a fixed 500mA driver and that's all I can say about it for now as it's not my place. I haven't a clue if there's any plans for ones with a higher setting although I can't believe it would be an issue other than people getting upset if they don't work out and diodes still blow.
I have 2 more bdr diodes and some other stuff that I'm putting together but for now I'm not posting the builds because of an ongoing forum issue that hasn't been corrected yet;)

I think I mentioned here about the 16x 405nm diodes that I had ordered from China from the same seller that sells the sleds from on Ebay. Received them yesterday and all is well. Didn't expect them due to the holiday stuff in China but apparently not everyone shut down there.

I think the other 2 drivers I have for the other 2 16x are the x-boost mini V7 that I can set to my liking. I don't think I am going to be other trying to push them even though I can't help being tempted to test them out to see if I get a crazy one. On the other end I'm sick of blowing them and it's too much $ down the drain.

Last edited: