Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Whats the dot supposed to look like?

Is the dot from an 803T supposed to be a circle or an ellipse? Mine looks like an ellipse, which I assume is because of the diode structure...

daguin

Maelstrom said:
Is the dot from an 803T supposed to be a circle or an ellipse? Mine looks like an ellipse, which I assume is because of the diode structure...

The unfocused beam from the 405nm diodes is elongated. You should be able to focus it down to a small point. If you can't focus it, there is something wrong.

Peace,
dave

The unfocused light should look like an eclipse like in this picture, you may be able to notice the shape in the dot too.

Attachments

• m5.JPG
    m5.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 79
Hey,

If the dot kind of looks like a snowflake it is just your eyes hallucinating, put on some strong sunglasses, or greenie goggles and you will see the dot so that you can focus it. I thought my diode was busted when I first got it :), but it is the wavelength that plays tricks with our eyes. Hope that answered your question or was the thing that you were wondering about.

Thanks
brtaman

If you focus the BR beam to a small dot and it burns the back of your hand -- what minimal output would you say is required to burn your hand or light a match at approx 8 inches? Would 38ma do that or should it be higher

Thanks,

Mule

Ok guys, it seems to be normal. Very gloss up its more of an elongated dot but farther away it gets more and more dot-like.

muledeer said:
If you focus the BR beam to a small dot and it burns the back of your hand -- what minimal output would you say is required to burn your hand or light a match at approx 8 inches? Would 38ma do that or should it be higher

Thanks,

Mule
You might be able to feel a sting running a PS3 diode at 38mA, if you are using a PHR-803T diode bump the current up to at least 100mA because 38mA is too low, 100mA should easily be enough to sting you skin even when the dot is pretty big. At 100mA I can light matches from 7 feet with the regular Aixiz lens and module.

styropyro said:
You might be able to feel a sting running a PS3 diode at 38mA, if you are using a PHR-803T diode bump the  current up to at least 100mA because 38mA is too low, 100mA should easily be enough to sting you skin even when the dot is pretty big. At 100mA I can light matches from 7 feet with the regular Aixiz lens and module.
Damn... I think I havent hit the knee or whatever yet... I need some thermal adhesive and ill bump it to 120

Yeah 120ma is a safe current, gets you nice power as well in the 100ma area depending on diode. I was running 124ma for around a week or two of heavy use (breaking in the arctic silver paste, and diode). It was working great. I have since moved up to 143ma and that diode although it makes the heatsink heat up quicker (no sh*t :)), it seems to be taking it very smoothly. Others such IgorT and daguin have been running theres at much higher currents, so you should be safe with the right heatsinking right up the 145-150 ma area.

Oh and once you bump up the current try it on your skin, it feels almost like a small needle being pushed into the skin very slowly...eheh...weird feeling

Thanks
brtaman