Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What would you do?

I received my 2 lasers from Atlasnova today.  The 532nm green seems fine and is rated at 34.7mw. I can see the beam indoors in a dark room. I think I will be very happy with it.

However the beam on the 635nm is distorted, sort of an elongated 0. It is over twice as tall as it is wide.  Plus the brightness/ intensity of it is no more than my $1.00 key chain laser.  I was told that 635nm would be a lot brighter than the 650nm they were selling for $13.00 For $24 I expect a lot better.

I wrote them and asked to exchange it for one with a better beam, and maybe check the brightness. Was I being too picky?  Maybe, but I want to be proud of what I own.  The workmanship of the both casings was very good, and solid.  I havent heard from them yet.

I will take some pictures of the pointers this evening and post.

Neo

T

timelord

635nm is usually brighter for a start how many mw's is the red? Also bear in mind that red is not so visible to the human eye as green. Can you post a pic of the dot?

I tried to photograph it but I couldnt't.

Like I said, the beam looks elongated, like a 0 rather than an o. Its annoying to me.

I am assuming he will exchange it.

Neo

S

SenKat

Yes - I would ask for a swap as well - I have also heard that 635 is supposed to be SUPER bright in comparison to 650nm....I think you are doing the right thing by asking for a swap out....

Just to follow up..........

I heard from Atlasnova this morning. They are sending me out a new laser on Monday, and a prepaid return mailer to send back the old one. I can't ask for any more than that! I will report when I receive it again.

Neo

S

SenKat

neocacher said:
Just to follow up..........

I heard from Atlasnova this morning. They are sending me out a new laser on Monday, and a prepaid return mailer to send back  the old one.  I can't ask for any more than that!  I will report when I receive it again.

Neo

A pre-paid mailer to return the defective one ? That is virtually unheard of - and worthy of note ! GREAT job, Atlasnova ! Thanks for posting this followup....it makes Atlasnova look even better in my book ! I am happy they are doing the right thing to help you out.

Yes, atlasnova is very good IMO. If the 635nm couldn't beat a 650nm IIIa, something is definitely up. As for the odd beam profile though, this is to be expected on all of them. I'm not sure exactly what the deal is, but the shape is due to how they circularize the beam out of the diode (which is elliptical), and you see the same issue, to a lesser extent, on the WL pulsars. If you look at the expanded dot, its still a circle really, but the concentration of the power is across a single diameter, so it looks somewhat elliptical and misshapen. Anyway, good luck with your replacement! (are these the constant on/off button ones, or the push/release ones BTW)

Hmmm. My cheap little keychain red pointer has a pretty round beam, I wonder why elliptical is normal for this model. Anyways, we shall see what the new one is like. As far as on/off, u have to hold the button down to keep it on.

Neo.

I got my replacement yesterday. They sent a different color , which I like better, but the beam and brightness were not better. I am disappointed but not upset. I just thought it should do better.

Neo

A red laser diode generates a roughly rectangular beam due to its internal cavity construction. If the focusing lens has a small entry aperature, the beam will look round but waste energy between the diode and lens. They must have opened up the aperature to allow full output to get through. The majority of the power is still in the center.

Mike

An elliptical or elongated beam profile of modest aspect ratio is not considered a defect if it's coming from a diode laser, though there are ways to correct this (a gradient index lens at the diode output window), and you will occasionally see red pointers that have nice round beam profiles. It adds to the cost, and the improvement isn't really that practical in a pointer, where competition is fierce and "perfect" beams aren't really necessary.

I also have a couple of those Atlasnova greens. They rock! Bright and tight. :cool: