Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What Wattage is needed to weld?

Munk

I heard that 5W+ can weld, I'm looking to buy a 6W +- 10% 445nm and just wondering if it will weld. If so, what kinds of metal, and how long would it take? I just can't find any info on the power needed to weld with a laser... Any help is appreciated!

Tmack

Weld?? Where did you hear that??? Maybe you mean 5w of raw power can weld? Not laser

power. If you wanted to CUT metal with a laser , you'd need tens of watt in a c02 laser, which a 445 is nowhere near,

Last edited:

Munk

Oh ok! I really didn't think so, as reflective as it is... But I was hoping it would be true anyways!!

Last edited:

Tmack

After 3w or so, things just burn faster. Rick Trent has a 15w and he's proud it will cut a metal spring . :p which I would be too. Just that cutting metal is no easy feat for photons.

I agree it would be nice to tac something up with my handheld haha. Not anytime soon man,

Munk

Yeah, the 6W is from him!! Seems like a good buy!! I mean, my WL is fun, but unfocused it doesn't burn white paper, or light a fire. It's nice to have something you can start a campfire with when you don't have lighters!! Besides I'm kinda of a pyro, lasers are sort of an addiction since last year... Plus, 3x the power for $50 more than what I paid for my Arctic, laaame. Wish I knew about him earlier... The new arctic is a complete ripoff.

Last edited:

Tmack

Yeah it's pricey alright. So the Borg is your fancy huh? Pretty cool laser. A bit bulky, but hard to argue with 6w for that price. The plus sign of doom!!!! Haha. I've owned on of his 3.4w c8 a while back. It served its purpose. Now it has a good home. I'm straying from power now (though I still have a bunch of monsters) and building some custom stuff , 1.6w pens!!!!!, complete matching sets etc. after you have burn holes in everything you own, you will start to want other wavelengths lol. Just another hole in the wallet!!!

Last edited:

Munk

I'll admit that I like the sturdy build and look of my Arctic, but I can deal with bulky and sensitive for that price! I was going to buy from Blord, but couldn't turn 6W down for only $450... Plus there aren't customs and I live in the next state away from Trent, so might as well.

Tmack

Hey I'm not knocking it one bit. I have a 6w being built right now by a member in Vietnam . It's in a dominator host and its all contained in that head piece. A bit mo pricey, but man it looks great. Same thing two 3w plus, but not in separate cubes, just in the same head piece. So I'm the last one that will argue your reasons :)

And there are always customs to be had. Check the buy sell trade sections, or learn to build one. It's not hard at all.

Last edited:

Munk

Yeah, I wish I just had enough money for a nice 445nm and my dream laptop right now... $5000 isn't too much to ask for, right God? Anyways, thanks for your help! I've seen a lot of your posts when researching here, always helpful!

Last edited:

Tmack

I just built that 1.6w pen for $86 . A member just sold one pretty similar for $200. So there are great benefits in learning to build.

As far as computer money.....I feel ya on that one.

Last edited:

Munk

Id love to see those pens! High power little space, that's an achievement! And I know what people mean by wanting all the colors possible, there's just something fascinating about light in general... Plus girls like Violet lasers more than blue haha

Tmack

8716-imag0515.jpg

Come to think of it, it's a gutted wicked Laser e2. It was a 50mw 532, now it has a 1.6w 445nm and a 1.25a x switch driver in it.

Last edited:

Munk

NICE!! I guess WL hosts are still high quality, I like that at least... Well good job! I've looked into building my own lasers, but I don't think I trust myself enough to put it together... I believe I'd be fine, but I hate to buy parts and ruin them on accident!

Last edited:

Tmack

I felt the same way. Just hang around a bit, buy some customs, learn their components. That way you know all the parts needed. After that you will know what parts make what strength etc. then the knowledge of slapping it all together comes. Don't get me wrong, we've all killed diodes :( but its a rewarding experience to have your own hand built laser.

Build up a nice collection, then just buy a easy build like a c6 . Everyone around here will be glad to help you get together exactly what you need , and show you how to put it together. If you ever get the hankering to build, give me a message. Ill get you started, till then, soak up it endless info, and learn all you can. :)