Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What the?

I think I am making too many topics here but still...

Something odd and annoying just happened to my pocket pal tail clicky red laser...I have not touched the pot so it is still exactly how it was when it came in the post and it appears to have randomly stopped working.

It was working fine, I got back 10 mins later, poped the batteries back in and nothing. I checked everything out and it seams fine, the only difference being that the flexdrive was warm.

I don't think the diode has blown as its still rather low settings, not even though to sting skin or anything and it doesn't give out any light at all.

Edit: just noticed a little spark when the top and bottom end of the torch touched, maybe a short?

If it sparked then a short is a distinct possibility. Your diode may still be safe depending on where the short is. If it has a decent driver in it then that will protect the diode most of the time..

ElektroFreak said:
If it sparked then a short is a distinct possibility. Your diode may still be safe depending on where the short is. If it has a decent driver in it then that will protect the diode most of the time..

Thats actually a comforting reply, its taken 3 months to find the time to build this.

I took it all out of the housing so it was just the diode, driver and the board its stuck down to and I couldn't see any shorts so I tried the batteries that way again and nothing so I am guessing it could be down to one of the wires that go under the driver to the board.

Will check it out tomorrow.

Ok I had a look today and the trouble is with the driver or the wiring to it, I tested the diode itself and it still breaths life.

Strange thing is the driver still heats up pretty quickly with just 2.5 volts going into it, yet there only seams to be around 0.5V coming out the wires at the other end.

I am using pretty thin wires so I am thinking perhaps one of them is causing the problem. If not I really am lost...

Hey im building the same thing...

I couldnt wait till my host came for my pocket pal so i went and got one...i am not using mouse cord like he said nor am i using regular wire...im using wire from a 9v battery holder :D It seems to be working fine...im still waiting on my driver...if it comes today ill post pics...there seems to be a space problem in my head of my flashlight...the reflector (the piece you turn around) doesnt have a ridge at the top so i am down about 1/8 of an inch...and the o ring space he included with the heatsink is too big..lol so i might use a washer between the circuit board and the rest of the flaslight to make a contact with the negatives of the board and to hold stuff in...any other ideas?

The_Muffin_Man said:
Hey im building the same thing...

I couldnt wait till my host came for my pocket pal so i went and got one...i am not using mouse cord like he said nor am i using regular wire...im using wire from a 9v battery holder  :D  It seems to be working fine...im still waiting on my driver...if it comes today ill post pics...there seems to be a space problem in my head of my flashlight...the reflector (the piece you turn around) doesnt have a ridge at the top so i am down about 1/8 of an inch...and the o ring space he included with the heatsink is too big..lol so i might use a washer between the circuit board and the rest of the flaslight to make a contact with the negatives of the board and to hold stuff in...any other ideas?

Leave the O ring out and are you sure you have the exact same host?

Well the build is the exact same...exactly but instead of having a very thin washer that touches the negative contact points i have a very thick washer that screws in (its .133 in/3.39 mm) instead of a tiny flat washer...but i measured everything and trimmed the reflecter and i think it will work....good luck on yours...if my driver comes today ill post some pics of it working (hopefully ;D)

peace