Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

what should i do with the diode?

[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] Ok..what should i do with a 16x DVD Burner diode?---I want to insert it into a flashlight---mini-mag to be exact---and i havent a clue on what to solder onto the diode--or even if i should solder anything onto it. I mean i dont want to kill the diode by just sticking it into the flashlight. I could use the help if you folks could show pictures of what to solder onto the pins or w/e to do???

Vcent

Well,the diode goes into an holder(aixiz seems preffered,though ive found some decent ones @ DX)
Then you would have to build a driver,and i doubt everything will fit into a mini mag lite...(although ive heard it should be possible...)

don't do kipkay's minmag hack, you WILL kill the diode. i recommend building yourself a homemade laser driver found on this site and put it into a radioshack project box.

hmmmm.. i'm not positive on what the driver is?? (i'm relatively new to these kind of lasers)--and what about the radio shack thing?

Vcent

The driver is a little circuit that controls how much volt/current goes into your diode,ultimately making the diode live a long and happy life :p

yeah. but i need like help step by step on what to do with the 16x diode so i dont burn it out though. :-/

Vcent

Now...lets start here...(Flame warning ^^)
There is a search button,and in 2 mins you could've answered everything yourself,simply by looking a tiny bit around...Finished...
since im such a nice guy here are the threads you would probably need :
1.driver http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1185701612
2.There are various tutorials on how to get diodes etc inside a aixiz or similar module
3.Threads of interest(MANY resources here) http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1190456606
4.Hmmm,that should kinda be it Good luck ;)

chido

If you don't want to go through all the trouble of getting the diode out of a dvd burner, you can always get one installed in an aixiz module here:
sales(dot)stonetek.org

a project box is a small enclosure sold by radioshack to house electronics projects in. they are pretty cheap, about 2 bucks for a small one. u could drill holes in it fairly easy for the crucial parts to go out of, such as the module and the switch.