Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What Power is suited for me?

diachi

Im not going to answer that because it's fuel to insult me/you guys are looking for a fight.

Abyways, any1 know any cost-efficient, powerful first laser that can freely be sent to Canada? Either you're all making a laser from scratch or have the 1year certificate for wielding strong lasers

We are asking because it's an important piece of information. Lasers are very dangerous and many sellers won't sell to people who are too young, unless of course they can prove their maturity.

I'm sure someone else mentioned LaserBTB - They are good and well known. Make sure you have safety glasses.

You're getting these kinds of responses because these questions are asked constantly so with as little as 10 minutes effort you can find the answers. Not to mention not bothering to read/understand forum etiquette. Perhaps that will change :yh:

Thanks! So how much is that after Cananda shipping do you think? My phone doesnt say. Glad you helped, to be honest I still dont know what an IR filter is

If you don't know what IR filter is you shouldn't be trying to buy a cheap laser.
Neg rep :-(

I am not super technical so please don't flame me if I am not perfect on this my fellow members. Plus I am sure that if you do a search, there are fantastic threads here on the very subject. IR is a byproduct of when certain wavelengths of the color green is made because it uses a IR diode as the source of the beam(possibly other colors also). If there is not a good quality IR filter, the IR is emitted out of the laser and it can harm your eyes since your goggles might not filter out IR. Plus IR is not visible to the naked human eye.
Click here ===> Why is IR Bad?
Click here ===> about 1/3 down the page, http://www.laserglow.com/page/greenlaserpointer

Last edited:

diachi

I am not super technical so please don't flame me if I am not perfect on this my fellow members. Plus I am sure that if you do a search, there are fantastic threads here on the very subject. IR is a byproduct of when certain wavelengths of the color green is made because it uses a IR diode as the source of the beam(possibly other colors also). If there is not a good quality IR filter, the IR is emitted out of the laser and it can harm your eyes since your goggles might not filter out IR. Plus IR is not visible to the naked human eye.
Click here ===> Why is IR Bad?
Click here ===> about 1/3 down the page, Laserglow Technologies

You got it! As you said, we cannot see IR - so no blink reflex to protect you from it.

It also diverges faster than the green light, so you end up with a cone of IR around the beam.

Other colours that may produce IR leakage are DPSS yellow and blue (Or pretty much any DPSS laser without an IR filter). Direct diode lasers will not produce IR (Unless intended to be IR Lasers), such as the 520nm greens or 445nm blues.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I had read on IR filters a bit but many seem to be strong believers that it is not necessary ~50mW laser pointers because the IR is not concentrated enough/focused in one area to cause damage and there have been no cases of it happening sooo are they right?

Thanks! So how much is that after Cananda shipping do you think? My phone doesnt say. Glad you helped, to be honest I still dont know what an IR filter is

An IR filter is used on DPSS lasers to block out any unwanted IR light which results during the converting process from IR to visible light :)

-Alex

An IR filter is used on DPSS lasers to block out any unwanted IR light which results during the converting process from IR to visible light :)

-Alex

Thanks dude, and it seems very controversial on these forums whether IR filters are really necessary as long as you're responsible. Plus I hear they can't perfectly block out all IR

I would just assume not be around it no matter how responsible you are. You cannot see what its reflecting off. It may not be the most focused. But ide still stay away

Last edited:

diachi

Thanks dude, and it seems very controversial on these forums whether IR filters are really necessary as long as you're responsible. Plus I hear they can't perfectly block out all IR

It's been a controversial issue since I joined! Generally they'll block out 95% or so of the IR - which is blocking enough to make things safe.

Alright, I wanna search for a nearby retail with cheap IR filter but I'll also try to find and quote the user saying IR dissipates so much for PENs that leaking IR is very faint. He said it's more useful for other laser devices (not sure, I think he meant the box shaped ones)

I love my baby blues so please always error to the side of safety. Save a bit longer and spend more money so you can afford a better laser with a good quality IR filter.
Your peepers are worth it!!!

Last edited:
I love my baby blues so please always error to the side of safety. Save a bit longer and spend more money so you can afford a better laser with a good quality IR filter.
Your peepers are worth it!!!

What's wrong with the current 303 I have :p
I am hoping it aint a stretch to assume I can find an IR filter at Wal Mart for $3

What's wrong with the current 303 I have :p
I am hoping it aint a stretch to assume I can find an IR filter at Wal Mart for $3

At walmart? No I don't think so. Even if you found something it wouldn't be quality grade. Don't buy a pair of sunglasses either and expect those to replace laser goggles. This is focused light that we're dealing with here so it's more intense.
You can absolutely use your low powered lasers without goggles however it's a risk and the more seasoned you become in this hobby the more you appreciate the value of safety.

^probably a damn good point, I'll check out IR filters, I just don't wanna get 1 if it isn't necessary for this that can't seem to burn anything. It might be 5mW. It's not bright enough for me to take a picture of the beam at night. You can see the dot, not the very thin beam