Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What mw is required to burn paper? Pop balloons? Light match? Any specific laser?

Point to ponder..... if you had a cheese wheel with a black wax rind on it...

do you think a 1000mw would be enough to.... cut the cheese!!!!

:crackup:

vk2fro

To light white writing paper on fire I've used the following:

a 400mw argon (multiline)
a 700mW 445nm
a 1.25watt 532nm green lab (also lights a cigar)
and finallly you can easily set WOOD on fire with a 40 watt CO2 (Seen it done on these very forums) :)

You are getting well into class IV powers here (heck the argon is class IIIB but only just). Saftey goggles are a must. Three of thes lasers arent really portable. Even the green lab needed securing to the bench to avoid it being knocked and having the beam set fire to the curtains. Once bitten twice shy ;)

Last edited:
Hmm. Anyone know what wattage is required for an LIPC?

Are you aware that the Thread had been dead for over 1 year.
It is called necroposting...

Please try to read the date of the last post before posting unless
it is new/important information relating to the Thread.

Jerry

Im completely new to laser pointers and have no idea where to look or what to do. But....
What mw for a green laser is required to burn a piece of paper?
Light a match?
Pop balloons?

Any lasers you guys can link me to that can do this? I'd prefer if their $100 or less?

And what mw is safe for eyes? I know 150mw+, even if it just reflects into your eye it causes damage. What mw can I go up to without having to worry about it permanently damaging my eyes if it reflects off a surface and shines into my eyes real quick?

Thanks!

You can pop a single ball on with a laser pointer less than 5nw it just takes anywhere from a minute to three minutes depending a balloon I tested on several one clear one colored and one multicolored didn't try on the ones you get from the stroke that say happy birthday you know the real shiny ones

diachi

You can pop a single ball on with a laser pointer less than 5nw it just takes anywhere from a minute to three minutes depending a balloon I tested on several one clear one colored and one multicolored didn't try on the ones you get from the stroke that say happy birthday you know the real shiny ones

This post was last updated in 2012 - please avoid bringing back old posts.

Also - did you verify with a power meter that it was in fact 5mW?

This post was last updated in 2012 - please avoid bringing back old posts.

Also - did you verify with a power meter that it was in fact 5mW?

It says on the laser pointer itself at least it does on mine

Last edited:

diachi

It says on the laser pointer itself at least it does on mine

Just because the laser says it's 5mW doesn't mean that it is 5mW. If you got it from eBay or Amazon it's probably largely overspec.

As H2Oxide said, just because it says "5mW" doesn't make it 5mW. A good example is my green pointer, bought from China for $12 and labelled as "5mW", when placed on the power meter the actual output is 93mW.

Never assume a pointer is 5mW just because the label says so, many are advertised as 5mW and eye safe but are nowhere close to it. Always treat it like it's a 100mW laser that could blind you at any time.

Many are also advertised as "5mW burning lasers", which is a contradiction in terms. They are advertised as 5mW to get by various restrictions.

Since this thread has been dusted off and brought back to life ;) I wonder how many dogs and cats eyes have been permanently damaged by these way overspec "5mW" lasers?

Since this thread has been dusted off and brought back to life ;) I wonder how many dogs and cats eyes have been permanently damaged by these way overspec "5mW" lasers?

Good question! I admit to being conflicted on this.On one hand I am very happy to score 100mw red pens and powerful blu ray pens for 7 dollars(what I paid some time ago).

On the other hand it is a very serious safety issue for those who take the label on the laser at face value...and are ignorant of these common mislabeling issues to simply move product.The 100mw red pens are a very BAD cat toy.And children getting their hands on them!Scary.

I actually have an ancient 5mw 635nm pen.It is wonderful...and I have not been able to find another.I paid 55 dollars for it in the distant past.I guess there is not much need in a world with 7 dollar greens at who knows how much power and lots of IR.My 635 does not look as bright as my 100mw 650 either!!!!