Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What Laser is Best for a Good Daylight Visible Point?

Hi All, I need a daylight visible laser point (not the beam, just the point) for work purposes. I work in a quarry and walking up to the rock face can be a health hazard. So, when discussing rock layers with a Geologist, it would probably be best to discuss them at a distance and use a laser pointer to note points of interest in the rock face. What should I be looking for in a daylight visible laser point? Looks like green is the most easily visible... Will and my coworkers need special glasses? What kind of cost am I looking at? Thanks!

Well, the most visible wavelength to the human eye is 532nm green. There are plenty of suppliers in the forum adds found at the top and bottom of the page. You could also check the Buy, Sell and Trade forum for sellers. Another option would be a high powered 445nm blue, which is still very visible, but at those powers it would be dangerous to use around potentially hazardous machinery. I think a 532nm 100-200mW pointer is probably your best bet. Good luck with your search, I hope I could help! :beer:

Lazerer and O-like are two good, cheap and reliable companies. Cost will probably set you back $70 ish. 100-200mW should be quite enough, just don't point at anything reflective since it could damage your eyes. Your original purpose should be just fine though.

mikeox

Lazerer and O-like are two good, cheap and reliable companies. Cost will probably set you back $70 ish. 100-200mW should be quite enough, just don't point at anything reflective since it could damage your eyes. Your original purpose should be just fine though.

I agree if only used in this application, but anything else glasses are a MUST! a laser at this power will still cause eye damage!! Accidents still happen even under the best situations.

Thank you all! This is exactly the kind of direction I was looking for.

Typically, limestone isn't reflective but I'll splurge on a few pair of safety glasses just to save any unexpected trips to the eye doctor.

All the best!

Thank you all! This is exactly the kind of direction I was looking for.

Typically, limestone isn't reflective but I'll splurge on a few pair of safety glasses just to save any unexpected trips to the eye doctor.

All the best!

Well, with the application that you are dealing with (pointing at limestone in a quarry-type environment I'm assuming), you may want to get some simpler protective goggles. There are a few threads on the forum that test cheapy goggles that turn out to be very good at protecting your seeing balls. I'll go find some for you real fast...:beer:

Edit* Found 'em:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/c...test-uvex-s0360x-ultra-spec-2000-a-73484.html

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/cheap-safety-glasses-tested-71621.html

They cover 400-560 typically and it will protect your eyes more than enough for the application that you spoke of.

Last edited:
Hi All, I need a daylight visible laser point (not the beam, just the point) for work purposes. I work in a quarry and walking up to the rock face can be a health hazard. So, when discussing rock layers with a Geologist, it would probably be best to discuss them at a distance and use a laser pointer to note points of interest in the rock face. What should I be looking for in a daylight visible laser point? Looks like green is the most easily visible... Will and my coworkers need special glasses? What kind of cost am I looking at? Thanks!

Keep in mind when pointed at limestone illuminated by full sunlight and some distance away no moderately priced green laser will work well. Improvements to pointing(spot visibility) can be made with a beam expander attached.
Good idea to have glasses on hand. OSHA levies hefty fines for work safety violations.

What will be your typical working distance ?

The distance could be as little as 20 feet and as much as 150 feet.

Again, thanks for assisting!

Chester

If you are wearing goggles, you will be completely unable to see the projected dot, due to the fact that the energy from the wavelength is very low.
Just like beaming at night, it is impossible to do so while wearing goggles. If you are unsure of risks, you would be better off getting a tripod and mounting a 200mW green for pointing.