Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What items are required to build a custom Laser pen?

Hello all,

I'm looking for a brief list of what I would need to build my own laser pen.

I know I'll need a laser diode & a power source, but the in-between is where I need some assistance. Looking around online I get a variety of different answers, so I want something generic I can follow.

I am planning on making a custom laser pen with a 532nm 50-100mW diode. (also, where is a good place to get laser diodes at a decent price?)

Thanks in advance for your help! :thanks:

Encap

Last edited:
Fasttech used to sell 532nm modules that were ~$5.00 each. They likely still do. The nice thing about these 532nm modules is you don't need to worry about pressing a diode into a module and buying a driver to run it. Don't need to buy a lens either. It is all included in the module. Because the 808nm pump diode is case positive, you will have to put your one Li-ion battery positive toward the switch. You can add a small heat sink to the driver output transistor and run the current up to maximum to get up to 80 mW out of those $5.00 Fasttech modules.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Fasttech still sells those 532nm modules, they have a few varieties, some are powered by 3V, others by 5V; it looks like they are all rated at 5mW output, but they actually put out more, as Paul mentioned.

Here is a link to one of their 5V 532nm 5mW modules.

GSS

A small thing to consider about Fasttechs' modules is the 3V and 5V are a tad different in size.
Not a big deal if your custom building a host around it but if your planning to put it in a typical ebay pen it makes a difference. Iv'e run the 3V version with a typical lithium at 4.2V with no issue's.
Thinking the OP doesn't know yet what a 532 DPSS is though for his build..

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It is possible to get 532nm diodes but 532nm dpss modules are far cheaper and have higher availability.
I've seen green laser diodes up to 538nm and that's where the cut off seems to be.

Ahh I've heard the term DPSS laser, so I now get what you guys are saying.

As CurtisOliver mentioned, you can get both 532nm diodes & 532nm DPSS modules. The modules are what I've been looking for. Awesome!

Thanks to all who replied and for the Fasttech link :thanks:

It is possible to get 532nm diodes but 532nm dpss modules are far cheaper and have higher availability.
I've seen green laser diodes up to 538nm and that's where the cut off seems to be.
Perhaps you found a source for 532nm Diodes that
I haven't found but all I can find is 520nm diodes.
Actual 532nm is usually DPSS units.
Correct me if I'm wrong Curtis..:yabbem:

Jerry

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Last edited:
Thanks for the Link....
I wasn't aware nor could I get a hit
on Google.
Ya learns something every day...;)

Jerry

Reactions: GSS
Because of what i'm working on at the moment, I have been searching up diodes and I found them up to 538nm.
Just quickly, here is an example of one 532nm diode.

https://www.laserdiodesource.com/files/pdfs/laserdiodesource_com/product-84/532nm-5mW-TO-can-Photop.pdf

They are rare and hard to come by, but they do exist.

Edit: I wish I saved the links at the time.

This is a tiny 532nm DPSS laser module that is in a diode like package. We have seen these before now. I'm not so sure that there is a 532nm direct diode available to us at the moment, if this is what you are talking about. The pump current is >200 mA for a 5 mW output. Last time we were talking about these, we were speculating on the lenses that it might also include.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Are you sure it was those specific modules? I have come across >530nm direct diodes before but can't find where again. Also work has been done on those bands.
Thorlabs used to offer them, but I've noticed that they've stopped.
I've found a few but they are not classic TO-can package.

http://ldselection.com/product/12349

Last edited:
I am sure. I remember the package it came in. Also, you don't need 200+ mA of current to get 5 mW out of a direct green diode.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Oh right. Thanks Paul. Ignore that link, but I’m fairly confident I’ve seen actual diodes before commercially rather than just in research. But I can’t seem to find any now. :undecided: