Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is TTL?

MA257

I know that TTL stands for Transistor-transistor logic (maybe) but alot of drivers have a TTL input on them.

What does a TTL actually do?

To my perspective it seems the the TTL input controls the laser to go on and off when power is input like to say if you were to hook up an MP3 player or something:confused:

TTL input is a form of modulation, as opposed to analog modulation.

If you apply 5V signal to TTL input, laser turns on. You turn the input off, laser goes off.

Analog modulation on the other hand, can be used to control the percentage of power the laser will be giving off, not just simply on-off states.

Purpose is, having the ability to turn the laser on or off with electronical signal instead of mechanical switch.

You can program an MCU board to do effects with your laser, or have input from the computer, etc.

You can send 200Hz signal and laser will be pulsed at 200Hz. You can't do that with a switch :)

Reactions: ARG

MA257

i get it now :thanks:

makes so much more sense now :yh:

+rep for the help

Benm

TTL also just refers to the signal level of 5 volts, which was the standard for logic circuits for a very long time.