Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is this?

Elyekim

Is this just multiple lasers in one casing? Is that a convex shaped lens he put on to focus the beams?

Last edited:

This is an old video seen here many times before now. It is far from the worlds most powerful handheld laser. It uses a CV lens to focus the beams to a single point, but only if the beams are perfectly parallel.

Looks like 140 or 7875 diodes, could be pltb450B's and I bet it gets hot fast, I have found just 3 x 7875 and 3 x 44's build up waste heat faster than you would expect.

Elyekim

Could you buy lasers with multiple diodes like that? Or would you have to build them?

Could you buy lasers with multiple diodes like that? Or would you have to build them?
Nobody makes anything like that, most likely because it would likely be disappointing and extremely expensive.

It's not the most powerful handheld commercially avaliable - and the focusing arrangement is absolutely awful. A single powerful tight beam will be much more satisfying than this thing. Additionally for the sheer cost of building something like this, it's a lot - as most members get pretty bored of setting fire to stuff with lasers after a short time - putting £/$hundreds on the line for something that's like this is pretty difficult to justify.

As RedCowboy mentioned, runtimes of something like this will be extremely short - as that many diodes in a handheld with no active cooling will quickly overheat. Laser diodes are damaged by heat, and their lifetimes drastically shortened if overdriven and overheated.

I have not seen any for sale.

If you build a multiple beam unit you must build in adjustment because not every diode's emitter will be perfectly perpendicular to it's backing plate, nor will every diode be pressed into it's module perfectly and so on, you must be able to adjust each beam.

However at such short distance with the beam width being what it is you could fake a lot at this short converge distance, but if wanting to converge at any real distance all alignment would be critical.......however for this short convergence distance he may have cheated the alignment out of his lens barrel thread slack, it looks like he has threaded couplers locking down all his lenses.

This size unit with 7 x m-140 diodes at 1.5 - 1.8a each would get hot fast, maybe 30-45 seconds and it would be plenty warm and your batteries based on the size of this unit would be getting a workout as well.

Elyekim

Huh. Seems to be kind of pointless making something like that then. Unless of course you have some spare change lying around...

I have always enjoyed multiple beams running together through the night air, but it depends on what you want and what you want to spend, also the MM blues will diverge a lot over distance.

I just bought some 532nm dpss units for 6 dollars each, well 2 for 11.95 that have a really tight beams and range from 40 to 70mw, might be fun to bundle 7 of them in a cheap expedient holder.