Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is raw output SUPPOSED to look like?

JNez

Pretty new guy here. I'm attempting my first build quite soon, so needless to say, I'm not terribly familiar with everything yet.

That being said, I ordered a 9mm 445 from DTR's shop, in module, with 2.2amp driver (Is that cheating? That's cheating, isn't it? :whistle: )

I was curious to see the raw output of the diode before I attempted putting it in a host, so I removed the lens, and ran the driver with one freshly charged rcr123a (it's going to be using 2 in host). I noticed this diode seems to have some pretty noticeable artifacts in it, and I was wondering if this was normal?

I know once it's ran through a lens, I'll never notice that. However, I couldn't help but be curious as to what is average for these diodes? Is this something that is expected? Perhaps a result of using only one battery that makes it more noticeable? What do you think?

IMG_20130722_123329_zps8a2a9948.jpg

IMG_20130722_131040_zps62bb0864.jpg

Most likely something on the diode window. You can attempt to clean it buy I wouldnt. Thats not bad at all. With the lens on it you wont ever see it again. Expect 2.2-3W. Maybe more if its an efficient diode.

for future reference, dont run a diode without it being in a proper heat sink. diodes are fragile and you can fry them very easy with all the heat they produce. a module is by no means close to a proper heat sink.

as speedy said, thats pretty normal. it could be something on the diode window or could be just a imperfection in the window from the manufacturer.

JNez

Thanks to both of you! Glad to know mine is not anything out of the ordinary. I was aware it wasn't sinked, so I never ran it for more than 2-3 seconds, and only on one battery. Hopefully I haven't shortened the life too much! I'll be sure to refrain from doing so again in the future, sometimes curiosity just gets the best of me! :oops:

I'll be sure to post again once I get my build all put together!