Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What else can you do with a Co2 rust removing laser?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Not a CO2 laser. Pumped fiber. I want one :)

Not a CO2 laser. Pumped fiber. I want one :)
From what I have read these rust removing lasers are Co2. They range in output from 20W-2000W operating as pulsed and/or continuous modes. Wavelength is 10,600nm.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I’ve done rust removal with a 60W CO2 laser engraver. You can also cleanup casted pewter. However you have to be careful with reflections.

A Co2 laser is better absorbed by organic materials like wood, fabrics, cardboard and flesh where coagulation is desired and a fiber laser is better absorbed by metals such as steel, aluminum and brass also a Co2 laser cavity can't be rolled up like glass fiber can....... I know they can bundle multiple Co2 laser tubes and use polished aluminum cavities, but if you want a 2000W ( two thousand watt ) rust remover in a compact size it's not going to be C02.

Fiber will take more market share as prices are coming down and the footprint of ultra fast lasers will be even more compact, but I digress, point is I haven't seen a 2KW Co2 rust remove in a small business size format and in the 10,000 dollar price range.

Chart-Laser-Efficiency2.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve done rust removal with a 60W CO2 laser engraver. You can also cleanup casted pewter. However you have to be careful with reflections.
Could you please PM me more info on how you did it? I have a 50 watt CO2 laser engraver and have been wanting to see if I could convert it to rust removal. Thank you👍

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Could you please PM me more info on how you did it? I have a 50 watt CO2 laser engraver and have been wanting to see if I could convert it to rust removal. Thank you👍
No need for conversion at all. Just set the laser to engrave a rectangle that covers the surface you want to rust remove. If the surface is uneven, set the focus to the middle of the z of your piece to have better coverage. If you have a 1” lens then trial 200mm/s 80% power and 0.125mm line/scan gap first. If the rust is stubborn, slow the engrave speed down and reduce the scan gap slightly to around 0.1mm to slightly overlap the beam. This technique works best on flatter steel surfaces. A 50/60W CO2 doesn’t have the necessary power to etch rust off like a kw fiber laser.

From what I have read these rust removing lasers are Co2. They range in output from 20W-2000W operating as pulsed and/or continuous modes. Wavelength is 10,600nm.
No these are fiber lasers. I have one

Attachments

• IMG-20230223-WA0010.jpeg
    IMG-20230223-WA0010.jpeg
    969.5 KB · Views: 1