Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What Divergence should someone expect to see from a $15 Green Laser 532nm 80mW DPSS ?

My point of saying it was still round is because when the dot is very small it becomes more difficult to tell just how round it really is, I've seen a beam that seemed to be fairly round when it was small but after it's had some distance to diverge a bit it turns out not to be as round as first thought......

diachi

My point of saying it was still round is because when the dot is very small it becomes more difficult to tell just how round it really is, I've seen a beam that seemed to be fairly round when it was small but after it's had some distance to diverge a bit it turns out not to be as round as first thought......

Yup, can be hard to see up close, usually easier to see with a pair of laser goggles on. Best method to see beam shape is just to defocus the laser and see what it looks like. :)

What I said doesn't hold true for all cases anyway, if the divergence is asymmetrical then the beam shape won't remain constant as it propagates, multimode diodes are a prime example of that.

Great beam specs and low divergence are great, you should get into gas lasers. :D

diachi

Believe me i'd love to but, You know, Money and all that...... :beer:

Yup, even after correction the fast axis of a 44 still isn't as well behaved as the slow axis, Or that is how it seems to me ?

Yup, money and space, at least in my case. I don't have anywhere to put anything bigger than my 163! :D

That said, you can find HeNes for cheap from time to time, that's a start. :D

You should be able to correct the fast axis so that it has the same divergence as the slow axis, but getting it perfect probably isn't worth the effort. You're still going to end up with a nasty square/rectangular beam either way. You could make it round but it's not worth the effort and any correction you do requires sacrificing output power.

You should be able to correct the fast axis so that it has the same divergence as the slow axis
I believe I'm pretty dang close to that with it right now (same divergence not shape) even if it's not really near round with it's very square beam, Close enough to where i'm not going to change anything with it anymore......

It is how it is and it's going to stay how it is.... lol

Last edited: