Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What did I do wrong?

So i'm going to try the socket technique for starters on this next diode if i cant get the current one working. I think my problem is that i was using pliers at first to try and press it in myself which might have broken the connection.

If you would like, you could package up the diode in the heatsink and prepay shipping both ways and I could drop it on my PSU to see if its the diode or not. You could even send the driver and I can see if it is the issue or not also. It wouldn't take me more than a few minutes to test so I wouldn't mind. Its up to you.

Blord

How do I do that? I've never done a direct power source to a diode

Cut the wires. Connect the black wire to the RCR123a negative pole and touch the red wire to the RCR123a plus for a brief moment.

Before you do this check the batteries first. Maybe you have just a dead battery.

Last edited:
I would have to des older wht I have and solder on longer leads to the pins for this to happen.

Blord

Do what you have to do. The build isn't working so you have to trouble shoot now.

Yes I know the batteries weren't dead as I had just fully charged them. And you are right. I will keep you guys update tomorrow when I attempt to fix it.

Blord

Fully charged batteries are not enough. You have to measure the voltage between the poles. Full charged it should be 4.1-4.2V.

The goal is to eliminate as many potential issues as possible to you don't waste time trying to work on things that may not be broken.

DrSid

It's always the battery .. well in 99% of the times ..

Last edited:
The batteries I use only go up to about 3.3-3.4v when fully charged. Should I try using a single 3.7v 18650 li-ion?

What batteries are those? I don't know that 3.4v would do that but if they don't output enough current to drive the laser maybe that could be the issue. A single 18650 does power my Blue Ice but not at full power.

I would suggest you use two 3.7v 16340s. Here are some low cost batteries I like to use and they power my Blue Ice very well:
Ultrafire 16340 3.6V Batteries (4-pack) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

I still think the issue is quite likely your diode. Have you check the continuity of your lead wires that run to your diode?

Last edited: