Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What batteries to get?

Ok, i know this has probably been answered loads of times but could i have an answer please.

My parents have just ordered me a phoenix from WL and it should be arriving sometime this week.

I know Energizer E2 Lithuims are supposedly the best but i don't have enough cash to keep buying those so im gonna get myself some rechargables.

I found these 1200mah batteries on ebay:
I would post a link but im not allowed, just search "1200mah aaa" on ebay and you find them
and was wondering what you guys think, should i get these or should i buy some better ones if so could you recomend any good rechargeables.

Cheers
Rich

just get some energizer / duracell rechargeables
nice and reliable
tho im using GP myself

Does anyone know if there are rechargeables with more than 1.2volts?
If so could someone link me, because at the moment i can only find 1.2v rechargeables but i can find 1.5v non-rechargeables.

Thanks again

Rhith

1.2V is the standard rechargeable batteries. Be weary of high mah AAA's though, they're often labeled way over power. I have a pair of the "1350mah" 1.2V AAA's from www.dealextreme.com and they're working great! Surely not up to what they're labeled but for the cost you can't beat it!

Benm

Does anyone know if there are rechargeables with more than 1.2volts?

No rechargables with 1.5 volts exist. The usual nickel based chemistries provide around 1.2 volts, but keep that voltage quite well troughout the discharge.

The online viable option for portable lasers i can think of is lithium based 3.6-3.7 volt cells, but you would obviously have to rig the laser to use only one.

S

SenKat

The highest powered AAA batts I have seen domestically have been the generic ones found in the camera section of Wa;-Mart at 1000Mah. They are blue and green, with RECHARGEABLE written in capitol, square letters - and batteries written in cursive. I use them for all my Pen style lasers - I do not know if they make other configurations...and the best part is they cost I THINK - $4.96 for 4 of them ! The AAA Energizers I have are 900 and 850Mah.

G !

I've heard quite good things about the Sanyo Eenlops (sp?) so im probably gonna get myself 4 of these to begin with and see how they do.

SenKat said:
The highest powered AAA batts I have seen domestically have been the generic ones found in the camera section of Wa;-Mart at 1000Mah. They are blue and green, with RECHARGEABLE written in capitol, square letters - and batteries written in cursive. I use them for all my Pen style lasers - I do not know if they make other configurations...and the best part is they cost I THINK - $4.96 for 4 of them ! The AAA Energizers I have are 900 and 850Mah.

G !

that is pretty cheap! well the price here in Iceland.. normal batteries (not rechargeable) will cost about 11 $ in some shops, but if i go to Reykjavik, they are much cheaper.

Gazoo

randomer3 said:
I've heard quite good things about the Sanyo Eenlops (sp?) so im probably gonna get myself 4 of these to begin with and see how they do.

Eneloops are awesome. I have 4 AA's powering my flashlight laser, and have replaced everything I have with eneloops including my remote controls, computer keyboard...the list goes on. I love them. I have had nothing but problems with alkaline batteries leaking and regular nimh batteries loosing their capacity over a month or so.

As soon as I received mine in June, I did a capacity test on four of the AAA's using my Maha C-9000 charger. The average capacity of the four was 600ma's. This was with a discharge current of 300ma's Not bad at all since they were made in Aug. 2006. Then I did a Refresh/Analyze using a discharge rate of 300ma's and a charge rate of 500ma's, and the average capacity of the batteries was 830ma. They always come in a bit higher then their rated capacity of 800mah's.

The same applies to the AA's I also received in June.

I tested the battery capacity of a set of AA eneloops that were dated Aug. 2006.

This was with a discharge rate of 500ma. The capacities were:

1479 ma
1486 ma
1479 ma
1488 ma

I let them rest for a few hours, then did a refresh analyze with a discharge current of 500ma and a charge current of 1000ma. After this the capacity of the batteries were:

2016 ma
2015 ma
1982 ma
2008 ma

Note: We have since found out the batteries are charged to apx. 75% before they leave the factory.

Cool, i think i will get myself some of those, thanks for the advice guys :)

for the best performance, I heard you should use energizer e2 lithium.

but rechargable is more convenient. :)

My Nickel metal batteries go up to 1.5 volts

they are only rated at 1.2, but they go higher than that with certain chargers.

Gazoo

Phazonx said:
My Nickel metal batteries go up to 1.5 volts

they are only rated at 1.2, but they go higher than that with certain chargers.

Sorry to tell you but that doesn't mean anything unless you have a load applied to them. My eneloops are charged to 1.47 volts but quickly drop after taken off the charger, and even more when a a load is applied.

Gazoo

They are not the highest capacity battery, but they are very consistent. After having used them for awhile, I will never buy anything else until something better comes along.