Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

weird "square" over beam of arctic

This is simply your lens focusing the spurious emission from around the edge of the die. We have seen this since the release of the 6X 405nm diodes. These 445nm diodes are built the same way. The front of the die in the diode is rectangular, but the main beam only emits from the center of one spot, on the edge of, the die.

With the "better" (higher output) lenses this "phantom square" is more easily seen, but it is always there. Yours looks like a better lens. There is nothing wrong with this output. If it bothers you, get a lower quality lens. It will reduce both the mW and the brightness of this "phantom square."

Peace,
dave

sorry it took so long to respond/ thanks a lot for the help Dave. i'm going to leave it as it is. i bought it more for the beam anyhow. and with the focusing lens it doesn't really matter. thanks again :D

It is in fact, like stated before, a reflection of the laser hitting the full (or 20%) power cap on your arctic. I have the same thing. though it's hardly visible. A part of the beam gets reflected back to the lens setup, and from there it gets reflected through the cap next to the normal dot.

The reason it's not inside your normal dot is because the laser doesn't really leaved the aperture in a straight line, it's actually a bit off, and the reflections tend to align themselfes next to the normal dot of the beam. Because of this, I think it does not really matter, since the beam isn't reflected back to the diode in a straight line.

*edit*

I stand corrected, see below. I thought the discussion was about the extra dot just above the normal one, didn't see the square :p

Last edited:
Daguin is correct, it's the die-mounting structure of the 445nm diode. My 445nm lab laser does the same thing with no lens cover involved. It's very easy to see the die structure with the power dialed down below its lasing point (>200ma).

rvrh3

I recently noticed that square on my Yobresal build. Weird thing is I never noticed it before. Could it just happen to show up or has it always been there?

that's a good question, i don't remember it being there when i got mine.. but after a week or so i saw it. it doesn't seem to be getting worse tho.. i didn't get my arctic for burning so it doesn't matter to me, and if i did i would just use a focusing lens and the "squares" don't matter.:lasergun: