Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

weird problem.

WN89

i was playing with my laser yesterday just burning up some stuff and i took the head off my laser and noticed that the beam diameter was very thin around a mm away from the lens, so i tryed to burn a match with it and i got a little close and touched the lens with the match and it has ruined my laser. The match was not ignited and did not touch the lens very hard.
Its hard to explain what happened so i will show you some pics:

This is what happened to it after the match touched it ( this pic is without the head)
lightproblemnohead1.jpg

This pic is with the head, the camera dont pick it up too well but the dot is very large and has a lot of scattered light around it:
lightproblemwithhead1.jpg

2 more:
lightproblemnohead2.jpg

lightproblemwithhead2.jpg

This is the part the match touched when the head was not on (directly in the centre). please excuse my greasy hands in this pic, the pics were taken asoon as i got in from work:
lens.jpg

The laser also seems very weak now and does not produce a beam. Does anyone know what this may be caused by and is it fixable? i have a few ideas but im not at all sure. im pretty pissed really, i have only had this laser like less than 2 weeks and my new one is taking a long time to arrive. I guess you learn from your mistakes so i wont be trying this again lol just hope i can fix it. thanks guys.

AnthoT

The lens probably got melted or scratched badly and you will need a new one.

WN89

i have had a close look at it and it does not appear to be melted. if it is scratched do you think polishing it may help?.

AnthoT

I don't think you can polish glass lenses. I think your best of getting a new lens that should solve it :)

WN89

ok thanks. can you suggest any good sources i can buy a lens for that will fit my laser? and is it easy to re-fit the new lens?.

jimdt7

Before buying a new lens i suggest you to
take a que-tip and with a small ammount of
blue-alchohol and rub it smothly on the lens.
Hope it works ;)

Jim

AnthoT

Before buying a new lens i suggest you to
take a que-tip and with a small ammount of
blue-alchohol and rub it smothly on the lens.
Hope it works ;)

Jim

Yup I forgot to mention that oops

But If you end up needing a lens then do you know what type of module the green laser is in or where you bought it. Because there's different lenses for different modules :)

-Anthony

WN89

thanks guys. i dont have any blue alchohol to hand so i got a cotton bud and tryed the polish, its made it a hell of a lot better. i actually have a dot and a beam now and it burns a bit. still seems very weak compared to what it was though but that may just be the battery so i have put it on charge now and will see how it performs later. its still not perfect but a lot better.
and anthony, im not sure what module it is. The laser is lazerer.com's "bighead" 100mw focusable green.
thanks for the replys guys.

AnthoT

thanks guys. i dont have any blue alchohol to hand so i got a cotton bud and tryed the polish, its made it a hell of a lot better. i actually have a dot and a beam now and it burns a bit. still seems very weak compared to what it was though but that may just be the battery so i have put it on charge now and will see how it performs later. its still not perfect but a lot better.
and anthony, im not sure what module it is. The laser is lazerer.com's "bighead" 100mw focusable green.
thanks for the replys guys.

That's great. Hopefully it works out that you won't end up needing a new lens but if it's still not how you like it contact lazerer and ask for a new lens. I not sure how much it would cost for their lenses though but that's the only place I think you could get a lens to fit you laser. :D

-Anthony

WN89

That's great. Hopefully it works out that you won't end up needing a new lens but if it's still not how you like it contact lazerer and ask for a new lens. I not sure how much it would cost for their lenses though but that's the only place I think you could get a lens to fit you laser. :D

-Anthony

ok thanks a lot man for the help. once my battery is fully charged il throw in a quick update and let you know how it is. fingers crossed that i wont need a new lens!. i was pretty upset when it first happened haha i love my laser :)

AnthoT

ok thanks a lot man for the help. once my battery is fully charged il throw in a quick update and let you know how it is. fingers crossed that i wont need a new lens!. i was pretty upset when it first happened haha i love my laser :)

No problem I like helping ;)
Hopefully your laser is like new again!