Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Webcam Can Pick Up IR

N00B

Ok so i found out that my webcam can pickup IR light.

How can i use it to test my lasers for IR leakage?

Thanks!

Kenom

in order to use your webcam to detect nothing BUT ir you need to find a very black portion of film negative that has been processed. Put your newly cut filter (negative) inside your webcam and you will see nothing but IR. I am doing so right now to see if the BFG is putting out IR. I've got one of those radio shack IR detectors. Well, I don't know what made me decide to check but I was curious how much of the BFG was IR so I passed the laser beam over the detector and it showed up. Now, I DO NOT know what this means as it stays for a long time. I will show you what I mean.

In the light

before any pass with the beam

first pass three lines from beam

pass 2 straight up and down.

Now, this could mean it's putting out tons of IR or it just could mean that it's reacting to the wavelength of the green. It does not do anything from the red laser I've got that is almost the same output as the BFG. it does fade quickly but it does stay there for a few seconds. slowly getting dimmer. If I still had my webcam I would show you.

Kenom

nevermind. I realilzed that since it's doing it from 10+ feet away that it can't be IR. It is still kind of cool though it causes it to glow and fades slowly. donno if radio shack still sells these things but it's fun. radio shack part # 276-1099